1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

public woodshops

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by genocide roach, Aug 27, 2007.

1. do they exist? since alot of people live in apartments nowadays, i imagine there are some out there.

anyone know of one in the colorado springs area?
    ~gR~

2. woodcraft has fully equipped shops where they impart their classes. They charge a small monthly fee for unlimited access to the tools (About $125 a month in my area).

Also, a lot of cabinet shops will let you use their facilities for a fee (or beer ;) ). I have seen a lot of people working their stuff at the places where I buy wood, so these are also choices.

3. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Things like that are becoming usual here. Ace Home Center rent tools and you can even take them home. They ask you to give them the price of tool in warrant but when you return it you get your money back and they charges you with really small prices. Ace is not that well equipped as Wilser mention Woodcraft is.

Genocide... what woods are available in Qatar? I have a sister in Doha who came for her vacations and I thought to ask her to bring me some stuff from that part of the world but I couldn't find any place on internet with a list of woods available there. I think she will be back in 6 months so I could get something from there that it's not available here.

4. i really dont know. most of the wood used in local ouds is imported i think. i'd love to ask someone out here, but the language barrier makes it hard.

i do see palisander and olivewood used frequently in ouds here. but other than that, its the typical stuff we can get anywhere.
    ~gR~

5. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    Yes same in my area, some furniture shops allow the use of big sanders etc, one can use all the tools at 25.00/hour but they require you to have WCB (workers comp insurance)

6. well, my local woodworks doesnt have a shop open for public use. but i guess the USAF academy has one, so i can just use theirs.
    ~gR~

7. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have heard rumors that there is a large, well equipped shop in Everett, WA but I was never able to find it.

there is also a supposed shop in Anacortes, WA which includes a 4'x8' 3-axis CNC. supposedly the owner is a CNC hobbiest and will create the G-code for a small fee if you bring him the detailed solid models in a CAD neutral format.

I got tired of looking for these places and eventually started to purchase my own shop tooling. one of the smartest decisions my wife ever forced upon me :hyper:

all the best,

R

8. Get in good with the woodshop teacher at your local vocational school.

9. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Way too cool! It surprises me there aren't many more places such as this around the land. But then I wonder about the insurance nightmare if someone gets hurt, or hurts someone else.....

Anyway, a place like that is a great idea!

10. Thanks! Yeah man, I've done it. Granted, it was during a nite-course type affair, and it was because I needed access to a bandsaw... but in a pinch, it helps. :)

I imagine, if you presented your needs and intentions to the school, and aquainted yourself with the shop teacher, and possibly signed off liabilities (hahahaha) I don't think they'd have issue accomodating you, as long as it wasn't all the time or impeding on instruction time, ya know???