1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pubs Cool Spots in Philly?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blipndub, Mar 17, 2009.

1. I'm going to Philadelphia next week for a conference and am looking for some cool bars with music or just places I should see. Any suggestions. Irish pubs, brew houses?
    I'm staying right around the Convention Center downtown.

I'll probably do some wandering in the historical districts and maybe old town.

Can't wait to get east again, I grew up in New England and now live in WA state, miss those eastern cities.

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    The Khyber on 2nd street used to be pretty good in the way of live bands. Basically Philly is pretty packed with smaller clubs that feature live original music. When you get there, pick up a City Paper or something like that - you cant miss them, they're free and in a paper dispenser like every 2 blocks..check the music/bands section, there's always something going on.
    If you want to be freaked out in a good way, check out the Mutter Museum
    http://www.collphyphil.org/mutter.asp

3. I'll check out the city paper for sure, I was thinking more about favorite haunts or a place to get a good pint. I've looked around and have found a few that seem kind of tourist, but I guess that's what PHL is all about mostly.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I haven't been in Philly for years, I lived there in the mid 90s. I always like "The Irish Pub" http://www.theirishpub.com/ they have two locations. So-so food, great wings. Also, the Samuel Adams Brewhouse on Sansom Street was a favorite, though it's closed now. I don't think either offered live music though. Just go down to South Street and hang around, you'll find something.

5. South Street (between Front St. and 6th St.) is always a fun place to go. Lot's of restaurants, bars, shops and other sights.

Also, be sure to get to Wharton and 9th Sts. (at Passyunk Ave. which runs diagonally) and get a world famous cheesesteak at either Pat's or Geno's (your choice).

6. Awesome, thanks for the suggestions

7. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I know a few places:

The Devils Den - Amazing beer selection, and I mean amazing....basically a specialty beer bar.

Connie's Ric Rac - BYOB music lounge that has some great local acts, and smoking inside.

+1 to south street

Also Tony Luke's for cheese steak...better than Pat's or Gino's

The Italian market is really cool, you can pick up all sorts of meats, cheeses, and really cheap high quality produce.

Ohh and Eastern State Penitentiary is a really neat tour for the money.

Some cool bands in the Philly scene that I really enjoyed seeing...

http://www.myspace.com/shackamaxon - Groovy folk rock

http://www.hezekiahjones.com/ - Hippie Folk music, but brilliant

http://www.animusmusic.com/ - Arabian Fusion w/ belly dancers...freaking awesome

Infinian was also really good but I can't find their myspace - they are a dark, slowly building, pink floyd with female vocals kinda thing.

8. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    I went to Philly to sample local beer & local bands

A cool tapas joint with really good beer was called Tria (several locations)

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
    1200 Market St
    Philadelphia, PA 19107
    (215) 627-1200

Tattooed Mom
    Categories: Dive Bars, Lounges, Restaurants
    530 South St
    Philadelphia, PA 19147
    (215) 238-9880
    www.myspace.com/tattooed_mom

Jim's Steaks
    400 South Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19147
    (215) 928-1911

Liquid Charm
    1207 Race St
    Philadelphia, PA 19107
    (215) 557-0208

Tiffin

710 W. Girard Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19176
    (215) 922-1297
    www.tiffin.com

Tritone
    Music Venue
    Neighborhood: Rittenhouse Square
    1508 South St
    Philadelphia, PA 19146
    (215) 545-0475
    www.tritonebar.com (FRIED CANDY BAR)

Johnny Brenda's
    Music Venue
    1201 Frankford Ave
    Philadelphia, PA 19125
    (215) 739-9684
    www.johnnybrendas.com LIVE BANDS

World Cafe Live
    Music Venue
    Neighborhood: University City
    3025 Walnut Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19104
    (215) 222-1400
    www.worldcafelive.com

DOC Watson's Pub

216 S 11th St
    Philadelphia, PA 19107
    (215) 922-3427 LIVE BANDS

National Mechanics Bar and Restaurant

22 S 3rd St
    Philadelphia, PA 19106
    (215) 701-4883
    www.nationalmechanics.com BRUNCH

a good online resource is Yelp.com

Don't forget to check out the Absolute Zeros if they are playing when you're around:

http://www.myspace.com/theabsolutezeros

9. Nice, thanks bro!

10. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I live here so….

Probably one of the greatest places for beer geeks in the country is Monks Café on 16th St (http://www.monkscafe.com/)

I also like "Tria" for Beer/wine/cheese (all fermented items, get it?) as well.

I'll second Tritone on South St. for eclectic and interesting music. It's a dive bar but always interesting. Bob and Barbara's across the Street is cool too.

If you don't mind venturing out from center city a little, I'll also second Johnny Brendas (www.johnnybrendas.com ) which is actually around the corner from my house. They have a great local beers on tap and music 7 nights (usually). They get nationally touring bands so there is usually a cover. Another cool neighborhood jaunt is Standard Tap nearby (www.standardtap.com). Another great new beer bar/gastro pub in this area is Memphis taproom (www.memphistaproom.com).

If you're in town Fri evening (3/27) and you like Ska and reggae, my band is playing at a little place called the 941 Theater… (www.wareikahill.net) as part of a 4 band ska bill there. Should be a great time.

If I think of more I'll post again…

11. Note that I said Pat's and Geno's were world famous; not the best.
    They are certainly very good but, in my opinion and despite their
    popularity, a real Philly cheesesteak doesn't use Cheez Whiz.
    But that's a topic for another thread. Regardless, Pat's and Geno's
    are very interesting spots well worthy of a visit.

12. gtxtom

gtxtom

Nov 3, 2008
    Philly
    My g/f's parents own a beer distribution center on Fairmount Ave. called Stone's Beverage. It's huge and has a real nice selection if you're looking to buy something to bring back to your hotel.

13. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    JmJ's list is pretty good.

Check out Fergie's Pub at 13th & Sansom. Open mike on Monday night with a good houseband. Great beer,Good to so-so food.No cover. Other music on weekends.

Tritone & Bob & Barbara's are fun.

Lolita's is an excellent Mexican inspired restaraunt on 13th St near Sansom.It's BYOB.It's across from another huge Mexican place called El Vez that's fun but overpriced.Mexican food in Philly isn't considered anything special,but if you can get into Lolita's go.It's not a burrito/taco joint.

Check out Chinatown. Ocean Harbor's good(Fresh fish from the tank).Harmony & Kingdom of Vegetarian are great & I'm not vegetarian.I like Vietmam Palace,too.

The Mutter museum's cool. Check out the Art museum & the Rodin museum too!

Stop in to where I work part time.
    Rustic Music 333 S.13th st. 215-732-7805.We are like a music flea market. Instruments,CD's,Vinyl & we still stock 78's! It's a playground for music heads.All this is real close to the Covention Center.

Philly's a much cooler town then it's rep!

14. Definitely South St. Lots of cool things to do, and it's certainly an experience.

15. I wish I was going to be around, sounds fun. I'm only in town until Wed. Thanks for the great suggestions everyone, I'm taking them and putting them in to a google map. it's a great way to plan a trip and you can use the street view to see what it looks like down there!