Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pubs for juniors

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jackmurray, Nov 5, 2005.

1. I'm in a band with 16 year olds. Pubs seem like a great place to start gigging. Are we alowed to play in pubs or do we have to be over 18? I live in Australia. Thanks, Jack.

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    In the UK it's 14. You can drink with a meal at 16 though there are plenty of places that show little discresion.

3. Thanks, that's a lot of help.

4. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I'm surprised you don't know to be honest, our pubs have huge "No admission to persons below 14 years of age" signs. But I can't google anything of use for Australia other than your drinking age is 20. Oh well.

5. Our drinking age is 18. Our pubs have "It is an offence to purchase alcohol if you are under the age of 18" signs but that doesn't really help with gigging.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    They'll probably let you play. Here, the drinking age is 19 and it's 19 to get INTO most pubs at all, but a drummer friend of mine has been gigging in pubs and bars since he was 15 -- and he STILL doesn't look as old as he actually is, too.

7. i had underagers in my band playing in bars here in the states. i'm sure in most countries it will depend on the bar as well as the individuals. in my case i was probably the only legal adult, but i was probably the only one that looked like a minor

8. Maybe it would be could if someone from Aus could reply. Or even better, I should stop being lazy and look it up on Google. Actually, I'll just let someone from Aus reply.

9. I'm PRETTY sure its alright. Just aslong as there is no drinking of alcoholic beverages involved. But then again, im not overly sure :p

10. Wow, thanks for all the knowledgeable and decisive advice guys. I'll go to my band right now and tell them everything I've learnt from this thread.

Don't worry mate, I forgive you. You're from Perth after all, and that's kinda like a handicap.

11. hey man,
    if they ain't asking, you ain't lyin'. If they ask, you be lyin'!

BTW Aj, I believe here it depends on the pub's liscense. The "local" so to speak, his liscense only allows for minors to be until 8pm, which is hardly decent to have bands on...

to Jack: don't be getting blitzed if you guys get a gig. be mature and all the rest. make yourselves look professional and mature. :)

12. I'm 16 and look about 8. They have strict laws in Aus and if the rules say under 18's can't play, then that's how it goes. I just wanted to know if that is how it goes or not.

13. don't worry about it. you can but try! i look like i'm 14, and am 17. it sucks, but at least i can still get away with child tickets for everything! :hyper:

14. HarrisIsGod

HarrisIsGod

Sep 1, 2005
    London
    WILD suggestion here: Tried asking the pubs?

15. Pfffffft

16. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    In ohio my band plays pubs/bars and what have you. We are all younger than you guys, we are all 15. The drinking age is 21 here as well. The only rule is, a parent has to be in the pub with us at all times after like 10, and we usually don't start until then, so we pretty much have to have a parent there.

17. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    yeah i'm pretty sure that no matter where you go, it's gonna be about what the owner/promoter says. Cops aren't going to rain from the ceiling on belay lines with handcuffs.

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I know the answer, but I have decided not to disclose it because I think it will make this thread funnier.

19. This thread is making me so angry.