Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

::Puke::

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by EdgarHons, Dec 6, 2000.

1. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    I totally had the worst gig today. I used to sing in a band and I was playing with the former rhythm guitarist and drummer (Who's real good) at this little show. Well, we were following our friend's band, and we invited a lot of people. When we got there, there were a bunch of rap-loving people there who yelled at my friend's band when they started setting up and doing sound checks and such. They were sort of angry when we told them we played rock. Anyways, this band played and they did great, although everyone slowly left during their set (They were good, it just wasn't the people's style). Then we were up, by the time we played everyone except my friend's band and the people that worked there were gone. No one we invited came, but it was actually a good thing. This was my first gig playing bass, and unfortunately I had to sing at the same time. So we opened with Monster Mash...other than the vocals being pretty muffled and inaudible (My voice is deep, it blends in although I sing the song better than any other) it was pretty good. Ending was a bit blotched, but not too much...

Then for our second song, we did Big Balls by AC/DC. Well, we had only practiced twice before this gig together, and all in all, it sounded fine at practice. However, we had to learn the lyrics today in school because we're lazy and we procrastinate. I don't think we ever got through the song full though (The guitarist and I were to switch off lines, BAD idea) practicing, yet we decided to try it instead. Even worse idea...we got through first verse, blotched first chorus, and totally bombed second verse. So I started cracking up laughing and it pretty much screwed up the second verse. From then on, we finished it instrumental, and when it was done, we were just sitting there with embarassed looks on our faces. Then we did 2 originals, a parody of Hey Joe, and a little impromptu jam introducing the band. It was just plain bad, and unfortunately, I'm going to have to watch the tape of it tomorrow. Someday I'll look back on this and cry. This really shot down my confidence about being decent on bass, though I guess when it's built back up again, I'll be even better....it may not sound so bad, but you'd have had to be there to appreciate it's true horribleness.

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    And the bright side?

No one was there to see it. And now you have a better focus on what you need to accomplish in rehearsals!

Like they say in chemistry: No experiment is ever a complete waste -- it can always serve as a bad example.

Next gig?

3. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    IMO the worst part of that tale is the cover of Hey Joe, that's a blatant admission of poor planning, next thing, you'll be playing Come Together!

4. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    << IMO the worst part of that tale is the cover of Hey Joe, that's a blatant admission of poor planning, next thing, you'll be playing Come Together! >>

It was a joke song we just fooled around with, and our drummer out of nowhere just yells Hey Joe and we had to play it. It's about how bad of a jew the guitarist is, I don't much like it and I had the dumb lyrics I wish I could change. Sad part is, we closed with it...

5. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Hey -- What a coincidence -- I played "Hey Joe" at my own very first gig! Of course, that was 33 years ago... ;)

Seriously, though, cheer up. It's all part of "paying your dues" and anyway, it probably was nowhere near as bad as it seemed to you. We are our own worst critics. Did you learn something? If so, then you came out of it a better bassist, performer, and singer. Nothing to do but pick yourself, dust yourself off, and "get back on the horse." Stay with it, and one day you'll find that when you weren't looking you've somehow transformed into a pretty darn good bassist and performer.

Anyway, it's all relative. No matter how good you get, there's always someone who's better. The reverse is also true. There's probably lots of people who if they had heard you that night, would have thought, "Boy -- I wish I could do that!" Just try to get yourself into a mindset where each performance is your best ever. Even though you won't always manage that, over the long run you'll be fine.

Hang in there. (And I really did play Hey Joe at my first gig...)