Pulcinella Level 5 Review - Part Two

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Nov 19, 2000.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've now used a Matt Pulcinella Level 5 five string bass on several gigs, using the same rig, and have a brief report for any of those interested.

I'm playing the bass through a Sunn 1200 S rig, with a dod 31 band graphic, playing through two EA cabinets, one a 1 10 and the other a 208.

I've worked a little on my tone settings and this combination of bass and amp rig has had, by far, the best reaction from my bandmates (we're 8 pieces) and my musician friends of anything I've ever owned. This is the first rig that has not sounded "dark" to them, meaning that every note played (I'm a fingerstyle player basically) has a tremendous amount of definition, clarity, and percussiveness, yet all the bottom end fullness and punch to really add musicality to the lead instruments, vocals, horn section, rhythm section, and bassdrum/drums overall.

It really made me play better and pay much more attention to my technique which although not terrible by any means, certainly improved greatly as even I can hear stuff now that was muddied up and burried just a couple of months ago.

This is a relatively small rig with a pricetag of around $2200 with the rack case and EQ, and the guitar was under $1600.

If you're open minded about the flat, hi fi sound, with a really nice sounding, light, easy playing, and fine looking piece of bass at a tremendous value, I really feel this is a great alternative.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    See my "Philly Guitar show" thread;)
  3. Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    Larry, what bass(es) did you use before you bought the Level 5?
  4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Lakland 5 string with a 34 inch scale. Believe it or not, the Lakland was not anywhere near as clean a sounding bass and the high end really sounded fake compared to the MPG Level 5.

I've also owned a Fender Jazz deluxe 4 string american made, a Reverend Rumblefish, and a Musicman Stingray 5, a Yamaha TRB6 over the last 10 years. I've been using mostly SWR, GK, Aguilar, and now Sunn heads and Ampeg, SWR, and now EA speaker cabs.

I'm currently selling the Fender Jazz and have already parted with all but the Rumblefish (and the Pulcinella, obviously), which is a solid, inexpensive, great sounding 5 string. With the electronic repair job I got from Joe Nader, the bass now is more neck pickup oriented and is not as good projecting the high end cleanliness as it did before I had the repairs done, but the bass in a real nice acoustic room and outdoors, atill is excellent.

The Pulcinella sounds much more focused and less mushy in lousy sounding rooms which seem to pop up most of the time in my band's world. I also am really addicted to on board active tone controls. With the Rumblefish, I have to fuss around with my amp or eq every time I want a slight boost or cut. That can be a problem some gigs as I've never taken the time to really work out a second/third/or fourth tone option with the Reverend.

Lookin' for a really nice 4 string? Let me know. I'm selling it for $600+ delivery which includes a hardshell case.

[Edited by Larry Kaye on 11-19-2000 at 08:25 PM]