Pulcinella review in BP Magazine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Dec 17, 2002.

1. I just got the new Bass Player yesterday, and found the Pulcinella Level 5 review very interesting. Basically, the reviewer found that the bass was well-designed and sounded good, but that it was also somewhat sloppily made.

Also, Matt Pulcinella sent two other basses to the magazine; they're reviewed in a little text box on the bottom of the big review. And the reviewer raved about the 2 other basses. . . which leads one to wonder why Mr. Pulcinella didn't just send THEM as the main review basses. Or maybe BP decides???

Anyway, I'd love to hear opinions from people who have owned Pulcinellas. . . I've owned two. The first one (built in 2000) was very well-built, but I found its tone to be unexciting. The second (built early in 1999) had some build-quality issues (which I never noticed, but which the guy who bought it from me then brought to my attention), but was an awesome slap bass, and pretty good for fingerstyle too.

Somewhere out there is an amazing Level 5 with a really bright sunburst-over-quilt finish, matching headstock, and Bart X-5's which was the best bass I've ever played. I tried to trade for it at Bass Palace, but the deal fell thru and someone bought the bass for cash. . . sigh!
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i see guitar villa is carrying his basses now. i need t oride to qtown and try one...
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

4. Yeah, there are a couple in Quakertown -- as of early this week, there was even a 4-string J-style one. There's also a nice 5-string on the wall at the Bethlehem Guitar Villa.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i haven't been to the Bethlehem store; is it nice?
  6. The Bethlehem store is smaller than the Q'town one, but they still have some great stuff there.

BTW, Don, did you sell your Smith 6-string? I would have loved to buy it, and your price was great, but I just couldn't figure out which basses to sell in order to afford it!
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Jason, I put it up on eBay sunday night and it sold Monday morning to a person in South Korea !

Now I have the rare luxury of figuring out which fretless i should buy ! My SX will hold me over for now!:)
  8. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    be very, very , very careful about overseas transactions!!! If it is a money order or a cashiers check you need to give it extra time to clear. There are a lot of bad checks/m.o's coming from overseas.

9. RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey there, I have a Matt Pulcinella Level 6 that I received last Dec. If you look on his website (www.mpguitars.com) you will see it as the one named Filth Sanchez shipped to Atlanta Ga.

I really have no problems with mine, great finish, nice growl to the low B, and found no design flaws or sloppy workmanship. I guess my only wish is that the highs were a little less "brittle".

Tonewise the bass is great, esp when recording so for the money, and the fact that mine was really a pretty well made bass for the price I cannot complain about it at all.
  10. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I also owned and had no issues with workmanship what so ever.. Nice stuff and Matts a nice guy to deal with...
  11. YOUR Level 5 was the one I wanted so badly, I believe!!!

BTW, Matt is really nice and customer-oriented.

Also, I never found the workmanship stuff to be an issue on the one bass I sold. . . the bridge was installed a bit crookedly, and the neck pocket wasn't super-tight. However, those things didn't affect the bass' tone or playability, which are my 2 concerns with a bass!

Also, Matt has told me that his quality-control improved drastically in 2000, and my "minor issues" bass was a 1999. That still leaves the puzzle of the bass he sent to BP, though.