Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pull-offs in tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Sorry, I really didn't want to start another tapping thread, but I couldn't find anything that addressed this issue.

I am learning a fair amount of tapping right now. So far, it has been basically two hand implied chords and the like. Now I am getting into stuff where it is two hands playing a bass line, as opposed to the chords. I am having a problem with pulloffs on a single string.

For example:
    (sorry, but I can't write the music on here so this is gonna be tab)

---12--7--0--12--7--0---
    -------------------------

The problem is that when I pulloff the left hand (12) to the right hand (7) all I can hear is harmonic noise. I am wondering if there is something I am overlooking to remedy this. If I pulloff by shooting my finger off the edge of the fretboard, it sounds like I would expect. When I tap and lift off, the harmonics are very loud.

Any insight by the more experienced members would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Geoff

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    going down in pitch like that means that more string has to vibrate than before without adding any energy... i've had the same problem and i think that there's really not a complete solution.. here are a few though..

instead of pulling off from the 12th fret to the 7th... wait until just after letting go of the 12th fret before tapping the 7th.. thus re-tapping the string and getting some usable sound out of it.

Slide from the 12th to the 7th

When you pull off the 12th fret, bend the string slightly so when you let it go, it snaps back into place, thus you add to the vibration.

hope some of this helps..

3. Darkslide

Darkslide

Sep 28, 2002
    When I am tapping and I am doing something like that, I usually tap the string and give it a little pull towards my 'B' String, or my thumb if I am tapping on the 'B'.

4. Keep one finger on the string above the 7th fret when you tap the 12th. When you pull off, your finger that is touching the string creates a false node and the harmonic won't ring, then just tap the 7th fret as normal.

That is the way i do it, and I just really started to work on my tapping techniques last month, so there may be a better way, but it works for me.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    This is due to the fact that your fingers are too close to the 12th fret harmonic (which is so bright that it's difficult to avoid!)

When you're pulling off, try moving your finger upward (ie, towards the lower strings - not sure if that's what you meant). You'll get less noise than if you try to lift straight off.