1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pull Your Pants Up Florida

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Mar 17, 2008.

1. They tried that around here. I prefer they spend the taxpayer's money on something that matters.

Mike

2. Ban pajama bottoms in public.

Ugh.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Thats next on the agenda:)

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Because it looks stupid. And, it portrays an image of something he's not (here come the racist accusations). He's a great kid, very talented soccer player and a straight A student in the gifted & talented program. This look emulates a portion of society that I don't want him involved in. IE, the thug/drug life/look. This has NOTHING to do with race either. I may be harsh, but my limits have placed him where he is today. He has a work ethic that is 2nd to none. The boy has a very bright future, if he just continues down the path he is on now. I, like him, was gifted academically as a child. I got involved with the "wrong crowd" in high school, and it all went down hill from there. It's simply a matter of trying to prevent him from making the same mistakes I made. There's so much I wish I could back and do over. I'm looking to save him the same "pain" that I've suffered.

Now, here's the kicker. I believe that these laws DO infringe on an individual's rights to self expression.

5. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    yes !!! thank you very much :)

6. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    agreed

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    and muffin tops!

8. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    I'm afraid fighting a symptom won't solve a problem.

I don't like the idea of giving the unsuccessful the look of the successful. That's gonna give employers nightmares. And parents. Sheesh. No more pants-o-meter to know where your teen has been.

9. I'm sorry but I have to agree with this law.
    Anyone who wears their pants in that way looks like a retarded 2 year old not old smart enough to figure out a belt.

10. Your right, educating the masses to elevate them up out of the gang banger, hood, prison lifestyle is the answer. A good first step is teaching people to dress properly and pull their pants up. :)

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Bah. You're all a bunch of fuddy duddies. :spit:

Personally, I think the baggy pants is stupid and ridiculous, but at the same time, I think this is a realization and lesson these guys will learn as soon as they have to go out and find a job. I don't think there needs to be a law against it.

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    From what all you guys are saying, it sounds like it is just the gang-stars that wear their trousers low in America. Do the rockers not do it as well? Over here, We have less of the gang kids like you do - the type that listen to rap music and do badly in school - like this:

[​IMG]

In the UK we have chavs instead, who look a bit more like this:

chavs.

They all wear tracksuits, not baggy jeans. We have some of the kids like in the top photo, but really not many at all. It is the kids who listen to rock/metal music who wear their jeans low over here. The indie kids are all about tight and high waisted, the emos are tight and low, rockers/metalers are loose and low, and the chavs are into trackies, often tucked into football socks :eyebrow:

So is it just the gang kids in the US?

13. I get such a kick out of watching kids with saggy pants walking down the street.

step step step *stop-pull pants up*

Hilarious, it takes em twice as long to get anywhere.

What a great fashion statement, looking like you just crapped your pants.

:D

14. I'd prefer Chavs over the saggy pants. Actually here the Mexicans wear sweatsuits all the time that they aren't working. It's more of a soccer style/fan thing. I don't mind that at all.

15. Good for you. There are no positive connotations to either of those fashion statements in most segments of society.

I told my daughter's boyfriend that if he couldn't afford a belt to hold up his pants, I had a staple gun and would be glad to fasten them up for him. Of course, I was smiling when I said it.

I strongly disagree. The way people dress directly affects their own self-image, even when that mode of dress is not voluntary. When those who are unsuccessful dress more like those who are, they become more successful, and part of it is that a change occurs in their own self-image, even though it's involuntary.

16. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I'm not really bothered either way. Chavs are great for a spot of light entertainment sometimes - some really funny outfits. Like when you see 3 chavs walking down the street and they are all wearing the same matching trackies :D

17. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I agree. Sometimes a school can't do the job alone - parents need to get involved in stamping out their childrens' individuality.

Is the idea to teach your kids to be satisfied with having a shiny car and a white porch and a large TV and the same clothes/hair/suit/vocabulary/beliefs as their neighbours?

Stupid law.

18. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Update: I got a letter from the White House yesterday. It seems my son's teachers have nominated him to attend a week long "youth leaders of America" conference in Washington this summer. It was on an official White House invitation, the thing was all embossed and like a 1/2" thick. Very Cool. He'll spend the week meeting senators and taking tours and attending leadership conferences with his peers from all over America. He's one of 3 nominated from his middle school, and the ONLY 6th grader from our town who was nominated. I know I sound stiff in the way I'm raising him, but the results speak for themselves. I'm so proud of my boy :D:hyper:

19. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks dude. I tell you what, if any boys show up at my front door dressed like that, looking for my daughter. They'll get launched into the front yard on the end of my foot. And if he complains, I'll have him arrested for tresspassing. There is NO negotiation, when it comes to my kids.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ditto for my 5 year old. When he's old enough to support himself, he can wear whatever he wants.

I'm sure b'urk will be shocked, but I'm against this kind of law. It should be up to the school (and these should be allowed to maintain dress codes) and the parents to handle this. I also think that employers should be free to not hire anyone who doesn't look the part of what they're hiring for. I personally wouldn't hire anyone who dressed like that for much of anything.