1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pulled the plug on a Fender Deluxe tweed case.........

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I have one and they're very nice. Enjoy!

3. I have 2 vintage and 2 repro tweeds (all Fender), but I use modern Fender plastic cases for traveling as the tweeds seem to seek and find water better than a dousing rod.

The orange/gold (faded) velvet is in the vintage cases and the newer ones have a rich red crushed velvet. You can get the orginal flat orange velvet in the new ones too. The maker for Fender also sells them with their own logo.

The newest Fender plastic cases are made only for the Strat/Tele guitars (the rectangular ones with the big plastic snap closures like a waterproof Pelikan camera case); new American Fender basses still come from the factory with the countoured plastic case with the metal bands around the edges. At least they stopped putting those slots on the fasteners this year.

I have found you can usually bargain to get a factory tweed case for an extra $100 when you order a new guitar (you'll still get the plastic case too).

4. Rockbobmel

It came today. It is a Fender made by G&G with the crushed red velvet pile interior. It seems sturdy enough for what I need. The only thing I can see wrong is there is a slight play in the handle rivets. Everything else looks pretty tight. The hardware is a little cheezy, but what the hell.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I have one.

I like the way they look, but for protection-I don't trust them as much as my SKB hardshells. For when i drive and it just goes in my backseat/trunk, they're fine. When i was doing gigs where the bass gets put under a bus or in the truck with the rest of the gear-it was SKBs.

Look great though. I used to have a small set of fuzzy dice on the handle.

6. Rockbobmel

I kinda feel the same way. This bass/case will only see small blues gigs. I also have an SKB Freedom case I could use if I had to travel.

The tweed case replaced a canvas & styro case that worked fine for what I was doing. I just wanted something to match the vintage vibe.