Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Pulled the plug" on my custom Cirrus...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Sep 29, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A few of you have been patiently following my wait for a custom-built Cirrus bass. I just got off the phone with my dealer, asking to cancel the order. The bass was supposed to be ready back in April, and arrival date after arrival date has come and gone since then.

Part of the reason I went with the Cirrus was the fast build time. Right now I NEED another bass, and should have had this one over six months ago. At the moment, it appears that a pretty sweet Cirrus may soon be loose and looking for a home. I'm not particularly mad at Peavey (disappointed, a bit), but I have some practical needs to attend to here. Assuming I don't get any grief about getting my deposit back, I will try to point anyone who might be interested in buying the bass in the right direction. It's too soon to know if things will play out that way, but I thought I'd mention it.

BTW, props to rcz, a TBer who went above and beyond the call to try to help sort this out for me. Unfortunately, it was beyond his power to get the thing done.

That said, I am back in "shopping" mode and suspect I'll have pics to post of another nice-looking bass soon enough! :)

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Geez !!! That sucks.
    I think you made the right move. I really don`t know how
    you managed the anxiousness for such a long time.
    IMHO, the company`s attitude was not very professional. They just can`t pospone something like that without having a final date (or without respecting the original compromise).

Well, let us know your new choice once you`ve decided.

Papersen

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I'm not going to bash Peavey, but it has been frustrating. The one thing that helped my patience was the fact that I had spec'ed out a couple of custom basses with build times of over a year. I knew that my other options weren't going to be quicker. My patience (and practical need) won't allow me to wait over a year from right now, so I'm going to look at some high-end instruments that are already built.

I'm going to check out a beautiful-looking MTD 535 this weekend. Will it be love? We shall see!

:)

4. hey, man. good luck with that. i wish there was more that could be done. as much as i am a fan of the cirrus, there are plenty more great basses out there, so hopefully you'll find one that is as much to your liking as the cirrus you designed would've been.

robb.

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Low Down Sound in Detroit has a pretty killer MTD 535 that may or may not meet your needs.
    www.lowdownsound.com has some pictures of it.
    Give them a call and talk to Ryan or Bob.
    I almost snatched it up awhile back but a Fodera got in the way!!

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry to hear about the bad experience with Peavey. Good luck with your search and have fun trying out that MTD! ;)

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just got off the phone with a Peavey rep. I'm going to get my deposit back, but when the bass is done they'll ship it to my dealer and I'll buy it at my option. The rep was trying to keep me committed to the deal, and offered some nice concessions, and to even send me a loaner bass. He was respectful of my wish to end the deal, however, and I am happy and satisfied with this arrangement.

So, I might be bringing this puppy home, after all. If they follow through on everything I discussed with them today, and the bass meets my expectations, I'd feel it would be the "right thing to do."

I'll post again as the saga unfolds!

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been watching your experience unfold from a distance--curious to see what sort of customer service Peavey is capable of providing.

It would seem that at present, they remain unable to rise above the status of mass-merchant. An MTD is probably a better choice, in the end.

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, Mike... but I'm happy and satisfied at this point. With my new 535 I've got a walnut-bodied, figured-maple topped bass (same as the custom Peavey) that'd be pretty hard to beat. And when the Peavey is finally finished, I will have the option to buy it or not... I can't really complain too much about that! :)

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Dr. Pants - yeah, but I'm not going to bash Peavey. I had a disappointing experience, but... They agreed to make this bass despite the fact that they don't normally take custom Cirrus orders (though that is about to change). They ran into some unexpected problems... but at least they tried instead of saying no - that's the sign of a good company, in my book. And though I had some hassles in communication, in the end the Peavey rep offered me everything I could ask for, and exactly what I wanted, too.

I think the custom Cirrus shop will be a great success, and I'm sure the kinks will be worked out by the time they start accepting orders.

I remain a big fan of the Cirrus bass! The MTD is a singularly impressive work of art and magic - but the Cirrus is not far behind and costs far less. It remains, in my mind, THE boutique bass without the boutique price! :)