Pulled the trigger and killed the band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Mar 21, 2011.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

I've posted before about my first band's woes, mostly a singer/rhythm guitarist who never practices and an unworkable song list. Been together a year and our grand total of performances added up to three open mics. Our lead guitarist, who I thought was pretty good, had just been off his game for while and then started saying he wants to just be in the background, not gig, and let someone else come in on lead. Singer/rhythm showed up to rehearsal for the second week in a row publicly announcing that he had not touched a guitar since our previous practice.

So the drummer (who holds the keys to the practice space) and I talked yesterday, weighed options, and decided it's done. He emailed his resignation to everyone today. He and I will probably jam together some more and see about starting a new project together, we'll see.

A lot of you reacted to my earlier threads on this telling me to quit already. Took a lot of time, but it's finally done.

On to new things. Whatever they turn out to be. I'll start with the woodshed.

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Good luck. Sounds like you were throwing your time away on something that wasn't really going anywhere. Sometimes you have to sacrifice the familiar to open the door to the next, better thing.

3. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    It's a band, not a marriage. The divorce is much easier to move on from. Sounds like you and the drummer were on the same page, so hopefully you can get together and make it work with some more dedicated guitarists. Best of luck.

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yep... if you and the drummer are tight both musically and personally, that's a great foundation to build on. And if you don't feel like investing all the energy into another start-up, be looking around to see if there's a chance to plug in to a more established band as a "turn-key" rhythm section. It's not often that a band is looking for a drummer and bassist at the same time, but it does happen.

5. T.A.P Bass

T.A.P Bass

Jan 7, 2010
    My drummer and I roll as a package deal... We've been playing together for almost 20 years.. Sure, there are times where we are not "working" but when we are, it's a magical thing...

6. Good move. In every band setting I've been in, I've always made friends with the serious people. Its a great way to build a reputation among the cats that matter. Let us know what comes of it!

7. I don't know your backstory, but you did the right thing.

Good luck with the next project and may it be more fruitful than the last.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021