1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pulled the trigger on a Genz NeoX212t

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassvi, Apr 29, 2009.

1. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I finally gave in to my curiosity to try one of these and scored a new one for a little under the street price ($749) I'll be using it with either a Peavey VB2, Trace Elliot AH350SMX, or a Markbass CMP 12 combo (disconnecting the internal speaker so as to not go below 4 ohms). I have been getting pretty serious about thinning out my gear collection, so if this cab is everything I hear it is maybe I can start to sell of a few things. I hope it does all I need (lightweight, great tone quality, ample volume) I'm not playing stadiums, just some outdoor gigs and medium to large rooms with an 11-piece funk band. The cab should arrive in a few days.

2. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Congrats. Love those cabs.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi bassvi.

I am keenly interested in your impression of the Genz Benz NEOX-212T/Peavey Tour VB-2 combination.

I've wondered how this GB cab would fare when driven by a ~200 Watt rock 'n' roll tube amp--especially how troublesome the cab's X-over & tweeter might be when subjected to power tube clipping.

--------

Subscribed.

4. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I was blown away by this cab. I've sold all my others and only use the neox for everything. It is the perfect cab in my opinion. The vertical design raises the amp up nicely, it takes minimal floor space on small stages. Seriously, I hope you dig it as much as I do.

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Congrats on the great score. If the 212 is as nice as the 210, (will probably sound fuller/better) you are going to be happy.

6. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    You're gonna' love it!

7. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Go forth and make a joyful noise!!!

8. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Nice to hear the encouraging words everybody. Now the anticipation stage is setting in bigtime so I'll be in the throes of expectation for the next few days. I haven't heard anyone say they have been disappointed with this cab- so hopefully I will be lovin' it too once I get to take it for a test spin. With my Markbass and Berg gear I didn't really see the full potential until I got to gig with it, so I'm expecting the first gig will be the real acid test.

I figure if the tweet's ever a problem, I can just turn it off? There's another guy who posts on here from Canada who uses his VB2 with one and loves it-

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Yes... This would do nicely. :)

10. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    Funny, I just got back from lunch and stopped by my local store and played one of these. I was really checking out the shuttle amp, but hearing it on the 210 didn't do it for me at all. I asked them to plug into this 212 and it sounded very nice. I was/am considering the Schroeder 1215L, but I have to say that this thing might win me over. I need to do more research.

I do love the vertical part though for stage and other reasons.

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Just curious - are these 8ohm cabs?

12. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    No they are 4 ohm.

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Hmmm interesting. Local store has two of these for sale. Been there at least 4 yrs. Wonder how my SVT CL would sound thru it.

14. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Go find out...they kick

15. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    have they even been around 4 years? They seem much newer than that.

16. richperson

richperson

Mar 20, 2002
    I called back the local dealer I visited at lunch. After reading some reviews of this cab after hearing them, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Good price from my local dealer along with a Shuttlemax 6.0.

I was going to get a Schroeder 1215L (never heard it myself), but after hearing the low end on this 212 I can't imagine what more I would want.

It is a little heavier than the Schroeder lights, but I think the cab size helps the sound and I like the vertical form factor for several reasons. All the extra wood and cabinet comes at a price (weight).

17. I run my Peavey VB2 thru my neox212T. You will love it!!!! :D

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Ever consider stacking those two cabs vertically, instead of putting each on the floor next to one another? Talk about a line array effect! :hyper:

MM

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    4 years might have been an exaggeration but at least 2-3. I can't imagine how these mom and pop stores make a profit when they sit on inventory this long. Their turnover ratio must stink.

(pedro takes CPA hat off after short rant.)

20. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Got the cab yesterday. Played for about a half hour this morning with the VB2-

Wow! I do believe this was some money well spent- Very impressive. The depth and clarity of articulation are wonderful. Very even response in all registers, nice depth too. I think whoever designed this cabinet really got it right. I haven't gotten to hear it with any of my other amps yet, but the VB2 sounds incredible through it. I can't wait to gig with this thing.

My only complaint with the cab is that I find it a bit awkward to move around- thankfully it's light enough I can just pick it up and carry it when I need to, and I'm not that big of a guy. Rolling the cab for a distance could get to your lower back- because it's a low profile cab, you have to bend over to roll it. I'd like to put side handles on it but it sounds so good I wouldn't want to do anything that might change the sound. I don't know if installing side handles could change anything but wouldn't you think with the excellent design of the cab they would have added those if they could?

Pictures coming- I am also pleased the VB2 doesn't look goofy at all on top of it- I thought the slight overhang on the sides might look funny but it's actually a great looking rig.