1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pulled the trigger on a Skjold!! ( adult content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by benthughes, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Just sent paypal for a Skjold Exotic! Burled Redwood top and Ash body. Matching knobs and pickp covers. I've heard nothing but good things about these basses.

My original quest was for a Zon of some sort. I already have a Zon Studio that I think covers that territory. I'll post more pics and give a review when it shows up. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thats a good one. Although I have no idea what it sounds like fretted, since it was originally a fretless. But if its like the other ash bodied Skjolds then it will surely rock.

3. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Skjold goodness.

Even with the crappy hack job at the video capture, does it sound good or what...

4. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Very nice! Congrats!

:bassist:

5. The Skjold sounds amazing even on that low quality video.
    Your bass looks really good with the redwood top and matching pickup covers. Let us know how much you love it once you get it.

6. :eek: Holy crap!

A bass sound that can silence even a sax player - worth its weight in gold :D !

Beautiful sound :bassist: , not yet sold on the looks :meh: (but who cares, when it sounds like that ;) )!

7. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Pete does outstanding work.

8. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Congrats,
    Skjold's are awesome basses great quality and craftsmenship, killer feel and tone.
    If this on has the Skjold/East preamp you will be in bliss.
    Enjoy.....

9. I was told the fret job was done by Brian Barrett. I'm sure there aren't too many luthiers out there by that name so I may be safe to assume it was Mr.LowEnd. I've heard nothing but good things about his work. The bass should be arriving on the 3rd of July.....stupid Alaska.

10. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Congratulations! I've been eying that one for a while myself. I've heard nothing but good about the sound & playability of Skjold basses!
    Let us know what you think after it arrives!;)

11. B3bopbass

B3bopbass

Apr 28, 2005
    So that's why you passed on my Sadowsky... :spit:

Congrats, looks like a fine bass.

12. When I decided to buy mine from Matt, I was internally a bit leery about the looks (most notably the headstock).

I've got to say - the whole bass just "works" in person. I'm not kidding you - even the headstock just fits the rest of the bass. Just phenomenal looking and sounding.

Jay

13. I'm not much on self control, if I'd of seen pictures of the Sadowsky earlier I'd have probably bought it. Good luck with the sale though. I've always wanted to try a Sad 5-24

14. I just got the bass today. I don't know where to start. I've owned a couple custom basses and have always found a couple little flaws, mostly cosmetic, but still..... This bass is fantastic! The finish is great, the neck pocket is tight and the neck is absolutely fantastic! I'd like more of a rolled edge on the fingerboard but this is a minor thing. It's incredibly light, I think 9 lbs or so and it balances perfectly.

The sound, from what I've experienced is amazing in it's versatility. I've still to really work it though. I really like the passive tone control which, like on a passive bass, is just a passive rolloff as you may expect. It adds a really quick way to change tones without a whole lot of fiddling. The tone is naturally bright and articulate, the bright switch can shatter glass. I havn't gigged with it but I imagine it can cut like no tomorrow. The problem I see with the bass in this initial eval is that I'll probably have to get a 4 string. I do prefer this over my Zon Studio so far. I can picture Joe Zon And Pete Skjold in frantic rock, paper scissors matches over some of the wood they get their hands on. Awesome bass

15. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Had to chime in (and bump this thread) with congratulations! I have a Lion's Pride coming up in the current batch.

Have you gigged with it yet? If not, you ain't giggin' enough!!:smug:

What do you think of it? How's the setup?

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    You will love it more and more as you play it and get to know it. Skjolds are truly top shelf instruments.

Congratuations.

17. I've done some recording with it so far. My day job is somewhat restrictive as far as making plans, however. I can't say enough about this bass!! The setup is fantastic. A little low for my taste initially but easily remidied. The neck feels great, I'm not sure of the spacing but it's narrower than my Zon ( ex-Zon now ) Studio's 19mm. My beef is that the fretboard edges aren't rolled which is only mildly uncomfortable. I tend to strangle the neck when I play in the first couple positions, maybe this'll clean my act up a bit. The bass balances very well when standing and is fairly lightweight ( #9 I'd guess). The deep lower cutaway and bottom curve ( bout??) make it balance oddly on the knee while sitting, not much of an issue with a strap. I'd also mention that the fretboard is a substantial piece of bloodwood, one of the thickest boards I remember seeing!

The sound as I mentioned is very versatile. I complained about my Zon Studio having too many bells and whistles. This has more with one caveat. I set the EQ where I like it and leave it. Passive tone rolloff. One knob turn and I have a different sound. From modern active to a more mellow rolled off thump. Pull the knob and your passive!! There's quite a drop in volume from active to passive so I wouldn't reccomend doing it on the fly unless you have some kind of boost available.

I e-mailed Pete about this bass and addressed my main concern. I'll be needing a 4 string soon.

Cheers

18. Welcome to the club!

19. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Now that I have a Wal, this is the other bass that I want. :)

20. Congrats on the bass. I'm sure it sounds great fretted.... but this was an AMAZING fretless. I can honestly say of all the basses I've owned, that is the only bass I regret getting rid of. Pete nailed everything I wanted in a fretless with that bass.

Enjoy it, it's a beautiful bass, awesome construction, and had a great fretless tone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021