Pulled the trigger on my new 5-string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Apr 21, 2005.

1. :cool: Well, I did it. I bought another 5-string. A lot of you will probably think I screwed up, but after looking around some more, I bought a new, 2005 Squier P-Bass Special V. If I like playing a 5-string again, and it works out for me, well, I'll keep this one as a back-up and go looking for a better quality instrument. I was really surprised at just how well this thing played, sounded, and looked, though. But, I used to own a Squier Affinity that was a surprisingly good bass, not just for the money, but just simply as a bass, so maybe I shouldn't have been.

I got a lot of good recommendations on my other thread when I asked about 5-stringers with 3/4" spacing. I'm still looking through those and doing further research. I'm considering Lakland, Fender RB-5, and a couple others. A good friend of mine has a Carvin that he really loves, but it's a little narrower than I like. However, I found out that Carvin will make you one with 3/4" spacing. No one mentioned them, however.

But, for the moment, I think this Squier will enable me to decide whether or not I'm going to seriously play a 5-string again.
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Congrats!! Hope you like it!
  3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Carvin will make you an LB 75 with a wider neck, or you could go with the BB series that comes with the wider asymmetrical neck standard. The tone is subjective to a lot of folks here; I love the tone I get from the stock electronics, while some people don't like them at all. What just about everyone agrees on is the quality and workmanship of Carvin compared to the price you pay. They are a terrific value, especially used. I originally bought mine on e bay as an inexensive way to go to five string. My Carvin has taken the place as my go to axe of choice ahead of my Spector and my vintage 64 P bass. I would buy another one in a minute.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Enjoy that Squier 5, I know from experience that Precision Bass Special is a great 5 string. I always like to note that Debra Killings, a great Atlanta session and gospel player was quoted in Bass Player saying that the SPBS5 is her favorite bass. I am still toying with the idea of getting one and putting in some great pickups and new pots.
  5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Cool deal man, I personally can't play a bass without five strings anymore. Well, I can, but it feels pretty much like someone cut off my arm.

6. :cool: Don't know if it means much, and I haven't had a chance to see how this thing works in the mix, but... The little info sticker that was on the pickguard plastic cover said that this model has "Upgraded Alnico pickups". Maybe they've made a reasonable fix to the original pickup problem. I had intended on replacing the pups, but, I might not.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best with it, Enjoy. :bassist: