Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pulled the trigger on Shuker ABG--wish me luck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Richard Lindsey, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    For years I've wished someone would build a really nice acoustic bass guitar. I've played everything out there (except for boutique luthier types) and haven't really liked any of them. I've been looking for something that had the bass presence of a real bass, but most everything I've played has reminded me more of a guitar on steroids, which is not the same thing at all. I know that the laws of physics can't be contravened, so there's no way any ABG can have the sound of a DB. Still, I always hoped that somebody could make something that would at least have the bass vibe I was looking for, but (necessarily, I think) on a smaller scale than a DB.

I dunno if I've found that. But I've decided to take the plunge anyway and order an ABG from Jon Shuker, thanks in part to responses to an earlier thread I posted here and in part to my e-mail conversations with Jon. www.shukerguitars.co.uk
    Here's what his basic 4-string looks like (if I can figure out how to do this):

Mine's a little different. Here are the specs:
    6 strings
    Lined fretless phenolic FB (Jon says more stable than most ebony he gets, and good sounding for fretless), 34" scale, 27" radius
    53 mm at the nut, 18 mm string spacing at bridge
    9 piece wenge-mahogany neck (in roughly equal proportions)
    Bearclaw spruce top
    Padauk back and sides
    Headway bridge saddle PU system
    Set up for flats, probably T-I Jazz Flats

Jon's going to be sending me pix as construction proceeds. The whole thing should take around 8 weeks, he says.

This is a bit of a risky venture, in that I've never played any of Jon's stuff, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, I guess. Wish me luck!

2. That sounds really cool. I look forward to the progress pics. I've never seen a 6 string acoustic before, so this should be interesting.

Geoff

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Good luck, I hope it'll be an amazing bass. I've speced out a six string J with Jon, now I'm just trying to get the money together. Post pics!