1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pulled the trigger on some new Bill Lawrence pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NelsonNelson, Jul 31, 2012.

1. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    Anyone care to share your opinion of his pickups? I ordered the J45-L pickup, two of them for my older Carvin 5 string Bunny bass.

2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Excellent pickups, reasonably priced. He's a nice down-to earth kind of guy. When I called to order a P-46 a few years ago, his wife had to call him in from the yard where he was doing something with a tractor. He likes talking pickups as much as we like talking bass. I installed the P-46 in a midnight blue MIM precision. Sweet! He also designed the pickups for what some would argue is one of the best and tonally versatile passive bass, the Roscoe Beck. I've never gotten to play one myself, but I would if I could... :cool:

3. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    Awesome. Yeah I was excited to hear that they had a new batch in stock. Becky said that the dual J45-L set would have the higher output so make sure to adjust the height since I am not getting a neck one. I can't having a Carvin with the same larger sized jazz pickup routing... I figured it's not a big deal.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    He also designed the Fender SCN pickups, the Gibson Ripper, Grabber, G-3 (basses and pickups), and the '76 Bicentennial T-Bird pickups and the Gibson Les Paul Signature bass pickups.

Lots of other stuff too.

5. I've got his P-46's and love them. They're taller then my stock ones were though.

6. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Another satisfied P-46 owner here. Put one in my peavey Fury and it is a tone monster now.

7. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    I put a J45 set in a 5-string Schecter jazz bass, and they sound amazing. very even, yet still very organic.

I liked them so much, I put another set in a 4-string Schecter jazz bass, and the harshness (high-mid/low treble peak?) of the Fender USA pickups that were on it is now gone and replaced with a more even tone.

All IMHO of course, because tone is completely subjective :bag:

8. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    Thanks for all the awesome feedback. Pogi- I have read a few reviews by guys who have been on this "lifelong journey" to find the best pickups and they ended up choosing Bill's over Fralin's and all the others. Then hearing all this from you guys makes the decision feel even better. I like how he slopes the poles a little higher towards the center for almost a radiused pickup effect.

This might come across as morbid, but I mean it in all sincerity....Bill on this random 2012 Youtube video does not look to be in the best of health, so to me it was one of those, "Man, if I wait too long, he might not be here....then who is going to carry on his legacy?" So that was definitely another push to get them now rather than to sleep on it.

Also reading how many pickups he designed like you mention SGD is just insane. I don't know of any other guy with that type of history in the business of only pickups.

9. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. It isn't just you: I thought the same thing a few days ago. So even though I couldn't afford it, I ordered a pair of J-45 pickups with flush pole pieces.

None of us is here for long. So when you have the privilege to meet, or learn from, or acquire the work of a great person, don't wait... go for it!

I read your later post about how pleased you were with your Bill Lawrence Wilde pickups. Thanks for your posts; and congratulations on your success with the pickups. I just know I will love my J-45 pair, too.

Best,

Snaxster

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Bill was treated for cancer for a second time last year. He's doing better, but has obviously lost a lot of weight. Because he was ill, they moved their plant in with Lace pickups in 2009. He was first hospitalized in October 2009. Becky also has some health issues.

Bill Lawrence Joins Lace Music

11. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    David,

Hello, and thanks for bringing us the rest of us up to date. That link you gave us was broken somehow, so here it is again:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Bill_Lawrence_Joins_Lace_Music.aspx

It's great to see these two families together, especially with the next generation involved. Their professional legacies deserve to be preserved and continued.

Of course, I wish Bill and Becky good health and good luck.

Best,

Snaxster