pulled the trigger today on custon IEM's...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by joebar, Jan 12, 2015.

1. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    s0c9 likes this.
  2. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    ...and I wouldn't call it a leap, it's pretty certain that you'll love them. It's gonna be a long 25-30 days waiting on them, no doubt.

When you get them. use them for just a few minutes the first couple of days and increase the time you spend with them. There's no hard and fast rule to becoming acclimated to them, but don't use them to the point of discomfort the first few times. You may take to them quite naturally, as I did. But don't be uncomfortable with them.

And check the fit of them, too. if one or both is constantly losing the seal, it might need to be re-fitted. Give it a few days or even up to a couple of weeks to make sure that you are acclimated to them and that there really is a problem with them. That's not common, but it does happen. And 1964 is really good about remaking them if they don't fit right.

I've related this before, but one of mine would come loose after a while. I noticed it a few weeks into having them, past the 30-day period. I called them and even then, they offered to re-mold them, but it was going to take a while. And I REALLY DID NOT want to be without them. I asked the tech if there was anything else I could try so I wouldn't have to send them in. He suggested the Comply Soft Wraps, which is a felt strip with adhesive that goes around the canal part of the mold. It's made for hearing-aid customers and it was the answer to my problems. I just replace them every two or three weeks when they get, you know, nasty...:D

One thing about the Quads, they sound really good, but they are very bassy! Which is the whole point of them, of course. I always roll some low end off of my send (either the monitor console or the Aviom I'm using). That's just me, I don't have to be clobbered with low end, but it's there if you want it.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you like them.

s0c9 likes this.
  3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i think I made the right choice-
    my audiologist said she could adjust them if need be; I am in Canada so resending them back to Portland is a PITA.
    our church seems to be going ampless possibly all together; at least this way, I can go straight to the board and be quite happy as long as the bass comes thru.
    I opted for non-ported ones-ambient noise would be a problem because of a considerable delay (time lag) in the building from the house feed. in my estimation, they needed to be fully sealed.

4. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I agree, ambient noise could be a problem. In our situation, we took down the audience mics when we realized that no one was using them. There's enough ambiance getting the vocal mics. Not to the point of being a problem, but the worship leaders hear what they need to to interact with the congregation with just their vocal mics.

5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Same with our band.. we dumped the "ambience" mics since the other stage mics pick up enough of the audience to not need the extra input. I usually adjust my body pack IEM volume based on how much audience "bleed" I can hear - before we start playing.

Geri O likes this.
  6. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    they just put audience mics up last sunday so we will see.
    part of this reason is that the services are taped for television-we are on TV on sunday mornings.

7. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    SMILE!!...:bassist::D

8. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    not sure when the actual worship part will make it to TV, but my approach is that everyone needs to step up their game because of the media coverage.

Geri O likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021