Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pulled the trigger... w007!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MentalBass, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Hey all,

After much research and deliberation (about a year's worth!), I finally pulled the trigger on a Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000! Now all I need are the cabs, and I can actually start playing venues without having to shell out $$$ to rent a half decent rig :D I'll keep this thread updated when it arrives.

Peace!

2. nice man, love that head but once i found one for sale i already got an SWR.

now just get some mesa powerhouses or roadreadys to go with that head.

nice score man.

3. Just remember to take your time and adjust the sound a little at a time. There are so many ways to change the tone/sound of the amp. If you don't get a manual download it from the mesa site and follow it through a few times. A lot of good information in there.

4. raaar! i want one i want one i want one!

5. Okay everybody, it's official: The Mesa Basis M-2000 ROCKS!

I got it on Thursday, and went to my local music stores to try it out with some cabinets. Absolutely magical. Although I had very little time to play with it, considering the complexity of its controls, the tones I have heard from it are simply mind-blowing. There is nothing this amp can't do. I don't know why Mesa discontinued this one in favour of the M-Pulse 600. The M-2000 has a faster response because of the FET channel, and it even has one more tube in the signal path of the tube preamp than the M-Pulse does, giving it the ability to do a simply stunning impression of an SVT-CL in overdrive. Not exact, but I'd say, with confidence, that 90% of the sound is you get out of the SVT is in the M-2000. The FET channel is so quick, so buttery smooth... and hit the Hi-Gain switch on the tube channel to get some simply awesome overdrive. I put down a deposit on a Powerhouse 4x10, picking it up next weekend, and a 1x15 shortly thereafter. I'll post pics next week, and follow up with more reviews as I play with it more and more.

Peace!

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice score. ;)

I hope it serves you well! :)

Tom.

7. Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've said it before, and now I have experimental data :p to prove it, so I'll say it again: This head ROCKS. I played at the El Mocambo last night with my rig, and it PWNED FACE! The setup was like the voice of God. You can make this head growl and snarl with the 3-tube preamp, or you can get it to give you a buttery-smooth and punchy FET tone. I mixed both of these last night, to wonderous effect. Huge, defined low end with highs that simply sing. Add in some overdrive, and you've got a tone that should be registered as a weapon with the military. I had the gain up to about half on both channels, and the master on about 1/3, and the soundman told me to turn down during soundcheck because it was inducing heart murmurs in the people in the audience :D If you have a chance to pick one up, do it!

Peace!