Pulled trigger on Avalon U5....How do you use yours?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MuzikMan, Jul 14, 2005.

1. I have just (temporarially) settled my GAS pains with the purchase of an Avalon U5. I intend to use it live and for recording. I am hoping the U5, a graphic EQ for different rooms, and a power amp will be sufficiant for live use.

Who has one? How do you use it?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use the blender attachment to make smoothies. For gigs, I run it straight to the board, using EQ Presets 2, 4 and 5, depending on the song. Preset 2 is good for mellow ballads needing a full, deep bass. Number 4 adds a fair amout of mid punch, and cuts through the mix very well. Preset 5 is like #4, only moreso.
  3. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Use mine to feed both the mains PA and my stage rig (Presonus ACP22 / Stewart World 1.6 / two Acme Low B2II's)... that's one reason why IMO, those separate line and mic level outputs rock!

As for settings, the gain level seems to work just about right when set at 6... and my SR5 kicks ass when the tone knob is at position #1.

Remember, as always... YMMV. :D
  4. I would like to expand a little and ask what you like and don't like about the U5 in a live situation.
  5. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I personally have arrived at a point (lo, these 30 years on from the word GO) where less is more. :eyebrow:

What I mean is that, now that I 'know' how to extract the sounds I want from my basses via setup, technique, etc.... I want to fart around as little as possible with eq and such... which is why I built me a rig that will give me as accurate a portrayal as possible (IMO) of what my basses are pushing out of their jacks.

The Avalon just fit into my "rig vision" like a hand in glove. :cool:

If I had to list one thing I don't like about the Avalon, is that it's a 2U unit. If Avalon could somehow make all that "magic mojo" fit in a 1U box... I'd be happy as a (insert happy image here)!
  6. I am definately gravitating toward a simpler setup myself which is exactly why I made the choice to get the U5. I find that all the maximizers, compressors, effects and such just get turned off after a bunch of tweaking. I am just beginning to be able to use my hands effectively to change tone and that's nice.

Who knows? Maybe I'll decide that room correcting graphic EQ can go too! :p
  7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've had one - twice! I used it with a Stewart or QSC power amp into my Bergie HT112. It sounded great. Why did I sell - I wanted a smaller, lighter rig. The Avalon is big to haul around in a 4 space rack - even with a light power amp. It sounded great though! I'm sure you'll like it.

I went to a small, light, 2 space Eden WT-550 head. I'm happy. I usually leave it flat, but I like the EQ - especially with my upright bass - as it can be tough to EQ.
  8. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I've been using one for about seven months now, over 40 gigs, in all kinds of situations, with upright and electric. I usually drive a stage rig and or run into the PA. I love the thing--it just sounds good, all the time. I generally use it with the eq flat or with preset 1 or 3, sometimes 4. I never use any other eq--just the U5 and a power amp

dislikes? the size. It's relatively heavy and bulky. I gave up on four space racks and I just got a two space rack bag for my power amp and I sit the U5 on top. Got a little skb case that fits the u5 well. It's easier than a four space rack, and lighter. But it's a big clunky piece of gear. Other than that, I cant' think of a single negative. I love it. It sounds as good with the upright as it does with the electric. i posted a review here, and nothing in the six months or so since I posted the review has changed my mind