Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pulling inlays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigpappabuddah, Jun 5, 2002.

1. well i've decided to defret my bass and everything, but another thing that i want to try is to take out the inlays. all they are is the little dots and i dont think they would match with the look of my bass.

any suggestions how to do this? and what to put in the place of the inlays?

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    you could try a suction cup, or puttind something over them.;)

3. Take a small drill bit and very carefully drill a hole in the center. You should be able to fit the end of a wire hanger in the hole and pop it out. I think I heard Hambone suggest that. I've not tried it, but it sounds like a good plan.

Putting something over it would raise the fretboard height, and make it uneven. They are glued in pretty well, and suction cups are so small, it wouldn't create enough of a vaccuum to pop out the inlays.

A small radius gouge could chip the sides of the inlay, then you could pry it out, but you've gotta be careful not to chip the fretboard.

4. I did it to my soundgear just yesterday. I took a 5.5 mm drill and drilled in the middle. Due to the torque that the drill exerts on the inlay, the glue bond between the inlay and the hole will break and you can lift it out quite easily. Use a hobbyknife to clean out any residual inlay. I got really neat holes with this method - no chipping at all.