Pulling off to an open-string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DeCayING, Dec 22, 2003.

1. DeCayING

Jun 2, 2003
    Does anyone have any tips for pulling off to an open-string? I can perform a pull off anywhere on the neck fine, except when it comes to pulling off to an open-string. Any tips?
  2. I don't do these often, but I seem to have better control on the lower frets. Especially the A flat to G, on the G string.
  3. I do these pretty often both on low and high strings but I don´t really think about how I do it but i´ll try and see if I can come up with something.

One thing that does come to my mind is be careful not to accidentally bend the string out of tune.

One thing that I do alot while soloing is using an open string as a pedalnote and bounce off some notes on the string and I think that this could be a good exercis for building up good smoothness and sound when pulling off to an open string.

g-9p0-11p0-12p0-11p0-9p0-11p0-12p0-11p0- x3

4. I started doing this after on upright after seeing Wynton Marsallis's crazy bassist do it, but I do it on electric all the time too. Anyway, the way I think of it is that you just fret the note pluck it and when you pull of you pluck the string with your right hand. It gets a little trickier on the lower strings because you will often pluck several of the higher strings but you'll get the hang of it.