1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pulling off to an open-string

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DeCayING, Dec 22, 2003.

1. DeCayING

DeCayING

Jun 2, 2003
    Kentucky
    Does anyone have any tips for pulling off to an open-string? I can perform a pull off anywhere on the neck fine, except when it comes to pulling off to an open-string. Any tips?

2. I don't do these often, but I seem to have better control on the lower frets. Especially the A flat to G, on the G string.

3. I do these pretty often both on low and high strings but I don´t really think about how I do it but i´ll try and see if I can come up with something.

One thing that does come to my mind is be careful not to accidentally bend the string out of tune.

One thing that I do alot while soloing is using an open string as a pedalnote and bounce off some notes on the string and I think that this could be a good exercis for building up good smoothness and sound when pulling off to an open string.

Example:

g-9p0-11p0-12p0-11p0-9p0-11p0-12p0-11p0- x3

g-16p0-14p0-12p0-11p0-

4. I started doing this after on upright after seeing Wynton Marsallis's crazy bassist do it, but I do it on electric all the time too. Anyway, the way I think of it is that you just fret the note pluck it and when you pull of you pluck the string with your right hand. It gets a little trickier on the lower strings because you will often pluck several of the higher strings but you'll get the hang of it.