1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pulling the pre-amp from my bass.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Apr 8, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Sooo... my bass has active electronics and I want to pull out the Pre-amp and make it passive. Is this even possible and if so how would I go about doing something like this?

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    What kind of bass and what kind of pickups? If the pickups themselves are passive then yes the preamp can be removed. If the pickups are active (i.e. EMG) then you're most likely out of luck.

3. If it has an active pickup then you cannot do this but if the pre amp is active you are going to want to remove all the pots and the battery and then find a wiring diagram for a bass with a similar pickup configuration to yours and then follow that diagram.

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    C'mon man.....What is the bass? Model#, brand name........ Gimme something ;)

5. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Traben Array 4 string.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    OK, now what kind of pickups, and where are they on the bass?

(try giving us too much info and pix, not too little.)

7. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

the neck p-up is single coil and the bridge p-up is a humbucker.

They're stock p-ups and They're "Traben SM combo pickups".

I don't think the pick ups are actually active but the electronics are...

8. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If it's a standard Traben Array, then it has an MM style pickup at the bridge and a soapbar at the neck, both Traben designed and judging from the website, passive pickups with an active preamp. There are 2 other pickup configurations available on other Array models (MM/J and dual Rockfield soapbars).

That is officially more info about Traben basses than I ever wanted to know...

The good news is that with some new control pots, a new output jack and a little soldering, you can remove the preamp and be completely passive...for better or worse.

http://www.trabenbass.com/basses.php

9. I've heard that with musicman and some other active basses the pickups run passive are actually very weak sounding, esp in the bass. Be warned that your basses sound (without knowing anything about it) may be largely made up of the pre, especially if it doesn't have a passive switch. YMMV