Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pulling the string off the fretboard in a groove

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was wondering if any bassists use this technique... I recorded an example. Not a fantastic one or anything, kinda crap recording but I just wanted to post something. Who else uses this?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have used it ocasionally. Nice groove BTW...

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Thanks. I was wondering if anyone has any recordings where this is used. I'd like to hear how others use it.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Victor Wooten does it in the live at bass day '98 DVD.

but not quite IN the groove, he dose it doing a looping part, and he pulls his string of the groove to get one weird note every other beat.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You mean pulling the G string off the neck so it makes that sqeak squiggle noise? Yea i do that a lot.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Cool beans, I've been meaning to get that video. Instead I got the Wooten/Carter Beauford video. It was the only one at the store. I get to see Mr. Woot soon, (see sig) I'm so excited, the tickets were normally 30 bucks but since I'm a student, I bought tickets for my girlfriend and I for 14 bucks! [/end derailment of own thread]

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...that sounds pretty cool...percy jones has been doing that on fretless for ages and he gets a sound that's a little similar to that. i do it on one of my original tunes. odd little technique and a cool little trick that sets off the bass players that are watching..."what the heck was that?!" :D