Pulling the Trigger - Kustom Groove Bass 1200 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hope I'm making the right move. My local dealer who is a great guy is giving me a hell of a deal. $485 for 1200 watts of shear madness! I'm calling him tomorrow to place my order unless some of you talk me out of it. I'm ordering this site un-seen (un-played). From what (little) I have read here, on other bass forums and harmony central, this thing rocks pretty nice. Plus my dealer said he would allow me 10 days to try for a full refund if I don't dig it. Can any current owners comment? Thanks!

Link to head --> Click Me

2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I've been wanting to try one of these to see if Kustom has gone back to the time when they were good. If Freek Bass likes it then it can't be bad.
  3. ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    I was almost talked into getting one of those by the owner of a shop nearby.
    The 1200W is very appealing, but in the end I decided to go with what I had my heart set on...Ashdown 500 EVOII.

Keep the post up to date with your impressions.
    I'll be looking forward to reading!
  4. i tried it once and it was just alright, it really wasnt that loud even with the 2x15 cab, sorry
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That is one good looking amp. Let us know how it sounds.
  6. Quadzilla

WOW, really? Read opposite of that on other comments. Freakbass uses this rig. Hmmmm....
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Please don't get me wrong - I'm not putting the amp down, but you have to remember that Freekbass is getting paid to use it.

That said, I'll be interested in reading your impressions of it.
  8. Quadzilla

Yes, true, he is getting paid for it. Good point. Comments from others said it's A-1 if you check around. In any event, I have some time to play with it and can still get a full refund if needed. I'll keep you posted. I'm hoping that there have been others here that have not commented as of yet that can. Thanks all!
  9. Quadzilla

Update: Trigger officially pulled (ie, I just ordered it). I'll let you know how she sounds...
  10. Quadzilla

Major props to Kustom here! I contacted Kustom (via email) to find out what kind of speakon cable to get (turned out to be a NL-4) and a few other questions. The cool part is I got a response within minutes answering ALL of my questions. I shot back and forth a few more emails with this guy. I thought that I'd share the last one with you:

Hi Fred,

The Groove is a major killer piece. No, you won't be disappointed. It will absolutely be the best bass amp you'll ever own. It truely will run 1200 watts into a 2 ohm load !!!! We baked it for 24 hours into a 1.2 ohm load and the fan never even kicked on. We had to make sure the fan was working properly and the event recorder was functioning as well. It is a rock solid amp..... enjoy it.

"Baked into a 1.2 ohm load for 24 hours" (amp must have been putting out 1500+ watts at those ohms). Wow, I'm impressed! Just thought I'd share their commitment to service (the fast reply to emails) and part of the testing process on the amp. Their new cabs look awesome also (4x10 and 2x15 Eminence). I should have the amp by weeks end. The guy at Kustom even took the time to look up the order from my dealer and track it for me!. I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it.
  11. Damn, that almost sounds too good to be true! If it turns out to be a keeper, I think TB will have a new "darling" to go along with their Schroeder cabs!! :D

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and your review of the new head. Enjoy!!!
  12. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm really interested in this head..I'm talking to the only place around here that has Kustom stuff, and trying to get them to order one for the shop. I really wanna try it out, and I might just end up getting one myself.
  13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I kinda want to try out this head, but without any tubes in the circuit im not so sure I'd like it...
  14. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    i have to say, i like what i read here and am probably going to buy this amp but, i have a different experience with kustoms customer service.

i e-mailed them asking a simple quetion which required a simple answer. I wanted to know if their amp hade a dual transformer to work on 120v and 240v like the genz-benz gbe600 has. I said that i was going to buy the amp from the states regardless of this and that i'd be shipping it to Ireland. The US support didn't answer my question and instead sent my e-mail to the UK distributors who just told me where i can buy the amp. This was very frustrating considering the UK guy didn't even answer my question.

I know that its not the end of the world but it was just amlittle bit annoying.
  15. Quadzilla

Try sending your questions to this guy:

His name is Wayne.

He has gotten back to me in under an hour with each and EVERY email I send him. He is VERY informative and knowledgeble. Oh, he is a bassist with a home studio, etc. He knows his shinizit! ;)
  16. Quadzilla

Picked up the head during lunch today. Plugged it in at the music shop. Mmmuch warmer than I expected (much more so than my SWR). I only had time to play with it for a few minutes and adjust a few settings. Head looks, feels of high quality. Stainless galore! Switches feel heavy duty as do knobs and pots. Came with a very nice, long heavy duty Speakon cable as well (the head comes with this and a footswitch right from Kustom). So far, I'm VERY impressed. I'll play more with it this eve and hopefully get together with the band later on in the week and give a full review. I'll post pictures as well.
  17. Sweet man! What cab and bass are you using with it?
  18. Quadzilla

As for basses, I have a MIA P-Bass and a Yamaha BB series 5 string.

I'll be using this with two cabs most of the time. An Avatar SB112 (1x12 front ported large cab with Eminence Delta LF - Low Frequency) and a Avatar B210 on top of that (2x10 rear ported Eminence Deltas). Both cabs have foster horns.

The bad news is that those two cabs are at where I practice at. The only cab I have here at home is an Avatar CB112 (compact) and it has no Speakon inputs (only 1/4"). The head only has Speakon outputs (it's biggest downfall). While at the music store today, I even glanced over at the Speakon to 1/4" adapters and it didn't even occur to me that I should get one or two. Stupid, stupid, stupid (kicking myself in the head)!

So I got the new head here at home and can't even play it! :crying: :bawl: I'll be getting some Speakon to 1/4" adaptors tomorrow... :rollno:
  19. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I tried one of these suckers out, and really liked it. I didn't find it underpowered at all, and I was also using the Kustom 2x15. It's definitely a good deal, but to get the full 1200 watts, you have to go down to 2 ohms. Not that that's bad, but it does require a lower impedance in your cabs than a lot of people are used to. Still, I was impressed by it. :)
  20. Quadzilla

I'll be running it at 4 ohms most of the time which means 800 watts. Nothing to sneeze at! :hyper: