Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wowzerskid, Jul 12, 2000.

1. wowzerskid

Jun 10, 2000
    hi all,
    a little query about Pulloffs, heres a example

would i actually pluck the 3 after the pulloff

also on this:

---3P1---- do i actually pluck the 1?

any answers would be great....
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No...& no(I think, since I absolutely suck at pull-offs).
    Aren't you supposed to use your fretting hand to "aid" in sounding the note post pull-off?
  3. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    How is it possible to suck at pull-offs? =) The "theory" behind pull-offs and hammer-ons, is to pluck a note, and then with your fretting hand, hit or pull off that note, and letting the force of that first pluck carry off to another note.

For example 3P1.

I have a finger on the first and third fret. I pluck the note, and then quickly release the finger that is on the 3rd fret. The sound now travels to the 1st fret.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This again shows up the deficiencies of Tab - the question is how fast do you have to do the hammer on and pull-off? To do these very quickly requires a lot of left-hand (fretting)strength, especially if you have a high action on your bass. How about hammering on with your 4th finger and pulling off 2 or 3 notes?
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The kinda pull-off I'm talking about is using the the ring finger of the plucking hand to pull(slightly)down & then off the neck. Not sure if that's what you're talking about(it's early here & I'm beat); I'm interpretting your post as play/pluck the note at the 3rd fret & merely RELEASE/LIFT your fretting hand finger.

What I suck at is this: there's two "hits"-
    1)Pluck the note w/ your plucking hand
    2)Don't lift, put PULL(down)OFF with your fretting hand.
  6. wowzerskid

Jun 10, 2000
    just a little question on how to play this:

when i have hammered on to the 5 do i pluck the 5 again to do the Pulloff?

7. no, just let the sound carry, when u pluck the innitial note, u might want to pluck it a little harder to make it travel. so put your first finger on the 3rd fret. pluck the note, then put your 3rd finger on the 5th fret while the note is still ringing. then lift your finger off of the 5th fret leaving the 3rd ringing. try to keep it fast so the note wont fizzle out. it takes some practice. good luck.

Keep on thumpin
  8. skanking_homer

Jul 25, 2000
    The best way to get better at these two li'l buggers is to play a song that requires them (obviously). Anyways, I recommend 2 songs: Propagandhi's "Ska Sucks" and Cliff Burton's Anestesia(Pulling Teeth)solo. Ska Sucks is easy but sounds cool, and anestesia just blows the mind. For pull-offs (and hammer-ons), a low action is very helpful. Seriously. And if you've never heard Anestesia, you damn well should. It also helps with tapping and almost makes you use three fingers. Have fun!