1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Puma 500/Glock advice needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FbassDave, Mar 18, 2009.

1. FbassDave

FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    I play once or twice a week, mostly medium sized indoor club gigs to no more than 200 people, but often outdoors to slightly larger crowds and occasionally big outdoor gigs. Things are hit and miss as far as PA support goes - rarely get the same guy twice and they all have very different appraoches to bass in the mix, etc.

My playing context requires big, authoratative but clean bass. My tube amp is staying home from now on - I've dragged my Crest CA6 out of the spare room and I'm contemplating one of the following options:

Glock Bass Art Classic Pre

OR

Puma 500, either on it's own or taking a 1/4" line out into the CA6 when necessary.

Both get love on here for their quality - I like the idea of being able to use the Puma on its own unless circumstances dictate that I'll need to bring another cab and bigger whump to cover the gig.

I'm still fit enough (sort of) to move a 4u, 50lb rack around, but like the portability advantage of the Puma.

I can get either for about the same money -

Neither will dissappoint, that much is certain. What does Talkbass think? Anyone tried the Puma line out into a lead sled power section? Am I better off just going with the dedicted Glock pre and loving it, despite the extra weight, even when it's not completely necessary to be hauling it?

Thanks as always!

2. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    Really thought this thread was going to be about shoes and guns.

3. FbassDave

FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    :p

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I own and love Pumas, the shoes.
    I own and love a Glock, the BAC pre.

My vote? Get a Glock 9mm.

Actually that pre sounds so good I have to recommend it.
    Does the Puma's line out put out enough voltage to drive that amp?
    I'd go Puma if the weight thing is an issue and it gives you flexibility. KJung spoke what's similar in their tone. Some preamps from integrated heads don't sound very good without their powersection though that can be subjective.
    If the Puma can't drive that amp the point is moot.

5. The Glock pre is wonderful, and while I love my Puma500, it would not keep up with a CA6 IMO. I've never been a fan of using a head to drive a power amp. It works, but is rarely optimal given gain matching, etc. That being said, the Puma500 is designed to run an external power amp. It has a line level line out that is 'post everything' on the amp, and is also impacted by the mute switch. So, that is a possibility, to use the 500 for most gigs, and then add your Crest for the rare big one.

If you want to get that smooth Glock sort of tone in a lightweight head, the Puma1000 either bridged into a large 8ohm cab are driving two 4ohm cabs would MORE than cover what you are talking about.

I actually use my Puma500 outside with no PA support, and it's fine for what I do, but I don't think it is 'authoritative' 50 feet back (no 500 watt amp would be). The 1000 would do the trick though.

IMO.

6. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    Dave,

The Glock Bass Art Pre is an excellent choice with the Crest CA6. I have my own personal CA6 which I've owned for over 10 years now, and have used it with the Bass Art Preamp. The sound is very solid but clean. A very full and balanced tone throughout the frequency range. The sound really carries well and throws out into the room with authority. This also depends on the speaker setup obviously.

If weight isn't an issue another option is to go for the Glock Heart Rock Head and not worry about the Crest. Will put out the same sort of "oomph" unlike the D class amps and gives you more options with cabs. Will drive 3 x 8 ohm cabs or 1 x 4 ohm combined with 1 x 8 ohm without a problem and will pump out 1000watts with that type of setup.