1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pumpkin Carving?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Oct 23, 2006.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Has anyone else carved pumpkins yet? My wife and I did ours last night.

Here is a picture of ours. Nothing fancy:
    [​IMG]

...and here is me posing with mine.
    [​IMG]

2. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Dude, did you carve a pumpkin self-portrait? That pumpkin looks just like you!

I carved a pumpkin on Sunday at Boston Common. It was part of a world record attempt. There were something like 30,000 carved and lit pumpkins there. It was pretty impressive.

I love Halloween time.

3. Prepared to be amazed. (Copied from another forum...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pumpkin Carving Tutorial

Hey guys, its that time of year......pumpkin carving!

[​IMG]

If you have yet to try and carve a pumpkin in a 3-D manner you need to. Its fun and everybody enjoys a cool pumpkin. Unfortunately they begin to rot less than a week after carving so be sure to take plenty of pictures. You can experiment with ways of preserving them but I find nothing works better than a nice photo. Some chefs that I have carved for put lemon juice on the faces to help slow down the natural molding process that will occur.

Picking out the right pumpkin is very important. You need a pumpkin with a thick wall. To get this kind you will have to choose one that is very heavy for its size. Also avoid perfectly round pumpkins and opt for ones that have a protruding ridge that sticks out on one side. These shapes make nice faces as you could imagine how difficult it would be to carve a 3-D face onto a shallow flat surface.

Tools

[​IMG]

1. large clay ribbon loop...peels the rind off the pumpkin beautifully as well as does 90% of the carving, minus the small details.

1. medium clay ribbon loop...more blocking in of the face

2. mini clay ribbon loops....smaller details, especially around the eyes.

3. Xacto knife and paring knife for sharp defined lines and cuts.

[​IMG]

Using the large loop, peel the pumpkins skin.

[​IMG]

4. Shave away the deepest areas, such as the area below the nose and the eyes sockets. Be brave, go deep. Unfortunately if you go too deep you'll break through and have to get a new pumpkin and start over, but if you don't go deep enough it just will not look as impressive. After a few hundred mess ups you will begin to know just exactly how thick your pumpkin are. The grain will become more fiberous as you approach the center. Every year I accidentally break threw a few. Typically I put my fist through the face, throw it out to the deer and start over.

[​IMG]

This pumpkin had a curve in it so I used it to my advantage when composing the face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The smaller loops work well for getting small deep cut areas such as the inner mouth.

[​IMG]

Use the paring knife to create nice sharp creases along the smile marks ans nostrils. To obtain these creases make 2 angled cuts and pull the wedge out. Paring knives have a nice curve to the blade allowing for better ability around curves.

[​IMG]

Small loops are great for blocking in areas such as stiches. Be sure to also utilize a knife later so that the details of the stitches become crisp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After blocking in the eyes with the loops I then add crisp lines with the paring knife.

[​IMG]

5. Use an xacto to draw the pupil and lift out some meat to create shadow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The loops can create wrinkles that are softer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draw the teeth in with an xacto knife, then using your paring knife cut the edges off the teeth at a 45 degree angle. Hard to explain but the pictures may explain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Us that gene hackman?

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Funny, someone else said that too :) I did it (it was supposed to look different but I screwed up) and then took a picture posing like it. Pretty close ;)

Wow, those 3D pumpkins are amazing. I'll have to try that next year (sure..)

:)

8. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Amazing work.

9. I did mine and accidntally slipped and slit open my finger, so I intentionally dripped blood all over the outside of the pumpkin, then I pounded a nail into it at the tip of every drop so it looked like the pumpkin was bleeding, then it rained and washed off all the blood

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I was hoping to see a pumpkin of Gene Simmons. That would scare me away.

-Mark

11. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I did this one in 2004. I think it looked pretty good. Got the template online. The bright spot is the candle.

Let's keep the discussion to the artistic merit...

pumpkin.jpg

12. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    If I do one this year (haven't done one for a few years), I'll post a pic. If I find any pics of ones from past years, I'll post those. :D

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Very nice. Is it just me or does his left eye look crooked? :)

14. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    It could be. We have only done a few of those type before, and since it's something we only do once a year, I'm not that good at it!

But I do recommend getting one of those cheap carving kits and finding some of those templates. They're pretty cool, and a quick search on google will find all kinds of them.

15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Whether it was intentional or not, it's rather funny that a GWB Pumpkin would have a lazy eye :)

We got our patterns off line. I messed up mine because we couldn't find the carving kit we usually use and I had to use a steak knife. It's harder to carve with those after you're used to using the small child proof one :)

16. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG]

17. My 2 &1/2 year old daughter is big into Curious George right now, so I did this one for her.

[​IMG]