1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

punch factory question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alpha Waves, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    hi, this is probably a stupid question. ive got a punch factory and on the back it says 'active input selection gives 12db loss of level (to avoid overload)'

can someone explain what it means by overload?

I may have a gig coming up and i think im not gonna be going through the pa cos my amp should be just about big enough if i play loud, but because of the 12db cut the punch factory gives will i be better to play without the pedal or to play with the pedal and increase the input and output on my amp.

will turning the amp up too much cause clipping and damage? (btw the amp has an input meter on it and i turned the input right up and played a couple of notes and it didnt move at all)

2. I don't have a Punch Factory, but the 12db cut will stop the punch factory from distorting unwantedly.

3. The 12dB that pedal takes away can usually be made up by other gain stages in your rig. The input meter on your amp should be registering strongly but not into the red. If you cannot adjust it up to this point, then the 12db gain pad may need to be taken out of the circuit.

The purpose of the gain pad is to prevent high output instruments (such as active basses) overloading the pedal and hence causing distortion. Only use it for active basses, passives don't need the gain pad in most cases, and even some active basses don't require it.

Ideally the situation would be that the 12dB pad compensates for the extra output level of an active bass and you get more or less the same output level as you would running a passive bass WITHOUT the gain pad.

4. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    thanks thats really helpful, i wondered why it was only for active not passive.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Try using it without the pad in. If it sounds ok, you're
    good to go. If it distorts, put the pad in. The pedal
    works just as well either way.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah - I'm sure that my Xciter has a similar front end to it. With mine, if I turn-off the compressor that's before it, overload causes a little crackle when I thump a note (Not nearly as loud and startling as some things when they overload - I'm to-this-day amazed at how violently an SWR amp head that I tried clipped -- SHEESH!).

Joe

7. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    the bass plugs into the active input on my amp, if i play with the pad out will that cause any impendance problems?

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not impedance problems that I can think of, but GOOD QUESTION, Alpha!

Now that you mention it: since the aphex pad is a true pad, that reflects all the way to the device output (even when it's bypassed, you know...), and out to your head, it would REPLACE the pad that's in the amp head; you should then turn the head-pad OFF!

Hm. I don't remember that being mentioned before, but it's surely a factor that shouldn't be forgotten in a signal chain like this.

Joe

9. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    cheers, thanks for your help. when you say turn the head-pad off, do you mean to use the passive input? (sorry if thats a stupid question but i dont know much about the technical stuff)

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh; sorry. Yes, that's what I mean (I run a GK head, so I have one input, and a 'pad' switch).

Joe

11. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    thanks youve been a real help