Punch of Aguilar SL112 vs. 10s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morrisonhendrix, Apr 9, 2017.

1. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I've been thinking about getting some Aguilar SL112s. I've done a lot of research and cannot find much in the way of comparison of the punchiness of SL112s versus any higher end 10" drivers. Obviously, I would think that most if not all 10s would be punchier than any comparable 12s. SPECIFICALLY, running a DeMonique with 2-SL112s as opposed to 2-210s is what I am contemplating.

Any of you that have experience with the SL112, would I be disappointed in their punchiness? I know the SL112s have more of an old school tone and are an all-around cabinet.

2. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    The 112 has more of what you need. It has more speaker area so .... more sound.

3. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    That hasn't been my experience using limited 210s, 410s, and limited 112s.

Overall, I'm wondering if I'd be happy with the SL112 punch.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You can't make a broad generalization solely based on the size of the speaker.

5. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Ok, but at the end of the day, what's everyone's opinion, albeit subjective, about the punchiness of the SL112?

6. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    I'd expect it to be pretty good, but I've never played one. I have 2 DB 112's and they have that old school tone you mentioned, but still have good punch, still though, geared more toward finger style. I noticed the SL has a higher sensitivity driver, so I'd expect it to be punchier than the DB's, which are still nice in that dept. If you are a big slapper, I'd probably lean more towards a beefy 4x10, but sure what your needs are. Anyone who has played the different Aggie cabs that have both standard and neo magnets would be a good opinion to have.

morrisonhendrix likes this.
  7. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Thank you sir for the info. I'm not a slapper. I play 90% finger style, usually classic rock genre.

8. Seems like people sometimes use "Punchy" to describe different sounds.
    If you are talking about midrange punch then IMO the DB112 is more what you want. I've heard people describe the DB112 as punchy (myself included) but I've never heard that about the SL112.

FingerDub likes this.
  9. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    No, not really the midrange bump, more of the "pop" vs. a "thud". A little more clarity than not.

10. Oh, ok. I haven't used the SL112's. I have DB112's and GS112's. I heard people describe the SL112's sound as falling between the DB and GS models.

11. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I had one for a short while years ago. I found it to be a very " thin " sounding cab, very high mid oriented, with not a whole lot of booty. Maybe two of them might work better.

12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    The SL line is not "old school" at all, that's the DB line.

That, and the only thing the size of a speaker tells you is what size the speaker is ;) Some 10's are much deeper than 15's, some 15's are much punchier with more mids than 10's; it's all about the cabinet design.

Personally, I didn't really care for the SL112's; the DB version has much more punch and thickness.

13. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Not really. Both the GS and DB cabs have a lot more bottom.

14. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Much less actually. The SL's are much more HiFi with significantly less beef down low.

Really sounds like the DB line is what you're looking for. If you check out the artists using the SL series, none of them are remotely close to "classic rock".

15. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    ^^^ Pretty much this. I find the DB cabs to be punchy (lots of mids), the SL112 sounds pretty good at low volumes but runs out of steam when you push it (I gigged a pair for awhile). I find the GS cabs to be pretty mid-scooped.

For the sound I go for, of the Aguilar cabs I like the sound of the DB but hate the form factor.

There are better (imho) 1-12 cabs out there, and the Mesa Subway 1-15 gets a lot of love as well.

seedokebass likes this.
  16. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Thanks for chiming in. Helpful.

17. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    I use a pair of them with a Tone Hammer 500. I was skeptical because I have favored 10s for many years. Always had 4x10s or 6X10s and played the six with an SVT Classic for many of those years.

Gotta say, for me the Aggie SL 112 delivers, but you need two of them. With the TH 500, there are many tone options and the cabs deliver great response with plenty of punch and headroom to spare.

I really like 'em....especially at load in and load out at 25 pounds a cab. An old man's dream!

Hope this is helpful for you.

Koog

punchdrunk, trpullen, jcerio and 2 others like this.
  18. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I recently played a gig where the backline was a tone hammer 500 and two SL 112's. I was able to dial in a good old school sound, but the slightest over tweak on the highs or mids was pretty drastic. It was a pretty versitile rig, but you may need some work to dial up what you're looking for.

19. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    They are certainly not thin sounding. Exactly the opposite in fact. Also it depends on what amp you have. I use the TH500. Probably one of the better 112's on the market. Very light as well (25lbs). It's all a matter of taste and what you like.

blindrabbit and morrisonhendrix like this.
  20. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Well, Nostatic agrees with me ! I used it with a few MarkBass heads. My experience was pretty much what he said in post #15.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021