Punch of Aguilar SL112 vs. 10s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morrisonhendrix, Apr 9, 2017.

1. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Had a pair of DB112s one with and one without...definitely old school tone, very loud, hard to believe all that sound was coming out of such small cabs...as for being more punchy than 10s...no I dont think so, but then again, IMO, most 10s are colored in some way, I find 12s more natural sounding if that makes any sense. Actually nothing makes sense becasue I love how the GK NEO 212 and 412 sound but prefer Markbass 10s and 15s...go figure... we all hear things differently so take it for what its worth. Cant go wrong with Aggie gear, it is a very specific tone profile though. I currently use a Markbass 2x10 and 1x15 and couldn't be happier.

morrisonhendrix likes this.
  2. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    They are thin sounding compared directly to either the DB or GS line.

You can certainly EQ around it, but they can't reproduce the same bottom end thickness at higher volumes as the other two varieties.

It's a good cab, just not one I'd recommend for "old school classic rock" unless you absolutely can't carry anything heavier than 30 pounds.

3. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Well, it did have more vintage tone than a Berg HD (or was it CN 112? Watched several videos) and another boutique cab (can't think of the brand name at the moment) that I heard on YouTube in a side-by-side comparison. That's relative though, since they all were neo cabs, and the others were definitely not old school cabs. I really appreciate your input.

4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I've been an Aguilar artist for awhile so I know all of their cabs pretty well.

Glad to help.

FingerDub likes this.
  5. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    As an endorsing artist, what are you Aggie products of choice for amps, pickups, cabs, etc? I assume you have gotten a chance to use most of them, so I am curious.

6. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    It really depends on the gig.

The DB stuff is excellent for anything with a more vintage vibe, whether it's rock or funk or soul; I prefer the 12" cabs simply due to weight, but the 410 and bigger cabs are beasts as well.

For a lot of the rock gigs I play though the GS line is a much better choice; they are more modern sounding and significantly more open and brighter on the top end.

The TH500 was usually too light on power for me, even two daisy chained together can't touch the power and headroom of a DB750/751, which is THE industry standard amp for a reason ;)

Haven't had a chance to really play through the AG700 or SL410 yet, NAMM volume doesn't count, but back in the day I really loved the AG500; with an Agro pedal I'd imagine this is even better.

Love all of their pickups, my favorites are probably the Super Singles, except for the HOT J's; the overwound effect scoops all of the guts and character from the mids.

Hope that helps!

morrisonhendrix and FingerDub like this.
  7. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I've had two SL112 cabs and a Tone Hammer 500 for over a year now. It took me a bit to get used to the amp, but the cabinets are fabulous. They work best together, but at 25 lbs each and in that form factor they aren't hard to carry. They are pretty neutral. I used them with an Ampeg PF500 for a few gigs and they did a great job reproducing everything that it threw at them, the PF500 being a very different animal than the Tone Hammer 500. But with the TH500 and some judicious EQ I have no problem getting them to roar. They are a bit mid forward, but I still have no problem getting what I need.

rufus.K and morrisonhendrix like this.
  8. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Thanks for the thoughtful response.

9. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would second all of that, minus any experience with the SL's. Went from a GS410 to a DB 412 to a DB410. The 12's sounded good, but a little "slow" compared to the DB410. Sonically the DB410 is perfect for me, and the cab looks amazing in White Hot with the Oxblood grill. The only thing that sucks is the weight!

As far as the SL's and in regards to the OP, does the SL410 run out of steam similarly to the SL 12's?

10. MetalJamBands

MetalJamBands Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    westchester, ny
    Does anyone own an SL410x? Is it good for the weight (49 pounds!)

11. ursus

ursus

Jul 16, 2003
    Limhamn, Sweden
    I had two SL´s and a TH 500 about five years ago and after about a year and a half year I switched out one of them to a DB instead to get some more "punch" and it worked for two years more. Last year I sold them and bought an EBS NEO 410 instead. More focused and tight and also bought a used EBS 210 Proline to go with it. I prefer the sound of the Prolines but I can handle the Neo 410 by myself as it almost as light as the Proline 210. Use this cabs with a Darkglass Microtubes 900 and a Sire Marcus Miller vintage V for rock covers and a Streamliner 600 and Unicorn XS2104 for soul and funk with my Fodera Tom Kennedy Standard. I prefer the tightness and the fast respnse of tens after all.

12. SV777

SV777

Jun 29, 2014
    New York
    I just got one a few weeks ago
    Bought it for its small footprint and weight. I tend to like 10s in general.
    I have a bunch of gigs lined up and I'm looking forward to seeing how it does in different venues.

At home it sounds great. Beefy low end with a four string and its pretty accurate at letting each bass I own sound true.

Still on the fence about getting the AG 700 to pair with it. Using a D800 Subway now and its fine. Just getting the urge to splurge.

13. Heyturnup

Heyturnup

Mar 28, 2016
    idaho
    I use a DB 210 with an F500 mark bass for smaller gigs and rehearsals. I also use the same head and a DB 112 for church. The 112 is smooth, warm, thick. I put the 210 vertical at chest level and if you turn it up a little, you can feel it thumping your chest. To me, that's punch. For bigger louder stages I use both cabs with an aguilar 750 head, and get why you would want to use matched speakers. Sounds pretty good anyhow. Just the urge to splurge.

morrisonhendrix likes this.
  14. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I've gigged 2 DB112's for years now with various heads. In trying to find lighter cabs I got two SLs. I found them completely lacking punch and dearly missed the DBs. I sold the SLs after a couple gigs. I wouldn't recommend them if you're looking for a punchy sound.

I'm still looking for a cab with a similar form factor of a 112 that's lighter than the DB but keeps that general tone quality. I need to look into the Subway 12 and 15s to see how they sound.

FingerDub likes this.
  15. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I wouldn't call my sl''s "punchy" they're decidedly better as a pair, but by itself one doesn't cut it for me.
    I'm in an organ trio, we're not that loud. Maybe a Barefaced Super Compact would be your answer.

16. adrian mccullou

adrian mccullou

Dec 14, 2009
    I use 2 SL410s. I have the original ones, I think they only made 100 of them. Judging by the specs, they are similar to the new ones. I love them, they have a huge bottom and a clear top end, I keep the tweezers off and can get some great old school tone and push them really hard. They are powerful speakers.....On smaller gigs, I use a single sl410 and it kills, strong mids IMO. hope this helps.

17. Lepparda

Lepparda

Sep 21, 2016
    A bit late to the party on this discussion but recently acquired a SL410x and love it paired with my TH500 (previously had a pair of SL112's to run with the same amp and the SL410x is vastly better suited to my tonal/power/punch goals). Recommended.

fullsizeoutput_10ba.jpeg

Fat bob, VICROCKBASS and rufus.K like this.
  18. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    I’m late to this thread, I just got this set up. I ran the AG 700 with the Mark Bass 2x10 traveler and this is much bigger , louder and deeper . Very punchy to me

Attached Files:

19. Lepparda

Lepparda

Sep 21, 2016
    B74397BB-2CE8-4A79-B7C2-FBC00FE3C0E4.jpeg And now paired with an AG700. Interestingly I think the head sounds better with this cab than the DB’s.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021