Punch & Thump/ Passive & Active

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I took my Dan Electro Hodad to a cover gig last night, and I noticed once again that it has way more punch and thump (that percussive sort of bass sound that you can feel in your chest) than any of my way more expensive active basses. Is this just the bass itself? Do the active electronics over process the sound? Are passive basses generally punchier sounding?. Are active electronics necessary? I just always assumed that active was better and louder, have I been mistaken?
  2. Dang! I knew I wasted $1,700... should have bought Dan Electro.

The tone wood theory must be bunk.
  3. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hodads definetly have a unique sound and are great for some stuff. I have seen professional players use them with very good results. Must be those lipstick tube pickups.

As far as actives go, it really depends on the preamp, but I have found they tend to be warmer sounding and less punchy. Because they have more tone shaping capability though, I feel they are a bit more versatile.
  4. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I have found that active pickups make your bass sound BRIGHTER and MORE PUNCHY. Just pickup a G&L L-2000 or L-1500. Switch from passive to active, you'll notice passive is much warmer sounding and active is brighter, more crisp, and in turn, punchier.