Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Punchiest cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jul 28, 2003.

1. I have found my tone. And it is a very midrangey punchy tone with a gritty midrange growl, and smooth low end, and supple high end. Which cab would be best for that? Just for a refence for my tone. I found it on my Ampeg B3158 with the drive at 12 o clock, bass 2, mid 2, treb noon. And the graphic EQ is relitivly flat with a bump in the mid area.

(The point of this is to find the best cab to go along with an ampeg head, and only because my combo isn't loud enough.)

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It's always tough suggesting equipment to anybody. We are all different in what we like, even what we consider midrange. I'm sure you can get the specs of a ton of cabs out there and compare them that way. I would suggest taking your head and bass to the store and plug in some cabs and then decide what you like from there, at least give you a foundation of what manufacturers and configuration you like. I read on here if you play a cd through a cab it will accent the attributes of the cab, if the cab had great lows it would accent the low end etc.
    I play an Ampeg 4 x 10 and am currently shopping to add a 15 or 18 sub, which will give me punchiness with good highs, mids, and the sub will add thundering lows, but that's just me....good luck

3. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Any Ampeg cab will do, IMHO...

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In my mind, I equate that type of tonal description with EA (though they only get "gritty" if you add it). A CxL-112 might be your ticket.

Tom.

5. Ampeg 810E

(or Bergantino NV610, those should be very punchy,although I wasn't able to try the Bergie yet))

6. an Ampeg SVT-48HE, bar none. 4 eight inch speakers and a tweet....you'll love it.

The catch? They don't make them anymore, but you can find them on eBay occassionally, I did.

Mark

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good point, Mark! Another cab that is being made that could be worth looking into is the Ashdown Mini 48. I have a Mini 10T, and it is very punchy and has great highs, but not so much in the low end department. I hear that the Mini 48 is similar. However, you can add a Mini 15 to either of them to enhance the low end.

Tom.

8. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    i think the SWR's are pretty punchy, aswell as ampeg

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    A Bag End cab will punch you in the midsection. Hard.

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i saw an ampeg 8x6"... wierd.
    sounded real bad too