Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Punchiest Setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Well? I've been looking for a larger rig that will cut through a very aggressive drummer with a sizable kit and a low tuned seven string guitarist (yes, he knows how to play) that uses two amps for distortion running in parrallel. I'm going to be playing larger venu's soon. I'm looking at both Peavy and Bagend speaks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. well well. i use a peavey amp through bag end cabs. with my bass, it's VERY punchy, although i haven't experienced playing with a 7 string guitarist.

3. Cool, I don't think the seven string guitar will matter that much when I comes to cut, I'm more so worried about the drummer. How much did you pay for the cabinents? I've been having trouble finding an official sales quote for the bagend cabs.

Thanks

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The SWR Goliath III 410 has insane punchability. 410's are your best bet if you want punch that will cut through. If money is no object I'd go with the Goliath III or the Eden D-410XLT.....both of these can tear flesh if pushed.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like punchy tone, and over 25 years have decided that 10" speakers work better for me than 15" and 18" or even in combinations with those. That said, my recently-purchased previously-owned Bergantino 2x12 will be arriving soon, hopefully before tomorrow night's gig... if so, I'll let y'all know how that works out.

I do think that speakers are the biggest factor for punch, moreso than the bass or the amp.

6. new, an S15-D will cost around 400. i got both of mine used for $315 each (shipping included). i don't know the kind of sound you're into, but if you like lots of lows, especially if you play a 5 string, you might want one of them to be an S15B-D.

7. Fuzzbass

Ooh.. the receptionist just called and said my Bergie is here! Not that y'all care, but I'm excited. :) :eek: :)

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Eden 410xlt. They have a really pronounced low mid bump that really cuts through. Oh yeah and a MM stingray cuts through anything also.

9. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

10" speakers are a must. I like my SWR Megoliath 8x10. It is very punchy with terrific bottom end. You are going to need a pre-amp with fast transient response and a good power amp with high slew rate for a tight bottom. Add to that a good compressor, and you should be in good shape.

10. I'm not a big 10" speaker fan, but I like them very well with other speaker sizes used together mostly 12" and 15". I'm not a fan of 18" either.
    Your new/used HT-212 should KILL. If you don't like it and don't blow it up :D call me and I may take it off your hands. I love mine.

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The most punchy, "in your face" cabinet I've heard are the Eden XLT 10 cabs :)

The Bag End 15's are quite punchy for a 15. Maybe they are for you ! Like the gentleman said, 5 string players find them a bit lacking in lows sometimes.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Gotta agree with that. Mego's are VERY punchy.

13. It has alot to do with the right eq also, no smilely face eq's here!!

14. Fuzzbass

Righto... a bump in the mids is nice... I like low mids for growl.

15. Maybe... I get allot of punch from my swr golliath III jr. and SVT-3 pro, I use a smilie face eq. Well it's more like a grin. I use allot of bass for my low end for one amp and a smilie face (guitar) tone with lots of distortion or clean... It works great for tone IMO.

16. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

i used a svt3-pro with my henry the 8x8, it sounded ok, but almost like i had a bad tube, or the speakers were blown,

i sold the svt3-pro and got a sm-400s,

O MY, :D I got twice the headroom and more "cut" than i could ever ask for,

Please at least try out a SWR amp with your rig.

Gary

17. I also think 10" will give you a very well defined punchy sound. With certain Eq setup, an aggressive finger technique, and maybe a compressor, each note can sound much punchier and a-- kicking than the basss drum.