Punchy and Detailed but Warm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TideSwing, Mar 16, 2018.

1. TideSwing

TideSwing Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Looking to try a new sound. Current rig is GK MB200 > Schroeder 12PL. Loved this combo the last few years mostly in a rock setting for stage volume only. Very clear and articulate, can hear every note. Not much for actually hearing or feeling any bass and not very warm. Super transportable setup as well.

Situation has changed. R&B, funk, soul, pop in a bigger 7-piece and I’d like a warmer sound that still has detail and punch.

I’ve also noticed that in rehearsals without PA support with this bigger band that I’ve had to set the gain a notch higher (2 o’clock) than before. Could be the room, my positioning, not so sure - but the overall room volume isn’t as loud so I can only guess it’s the fuller number of sounds of other instruments.

Anyways considered going with an MB500 for more headroom but thought it’d be nice to try something new. I’m considering a Quilter or Aguilar rig. Ive only played through a ToneHammer 500 / SL 12s a long time ago but didn’t care for it back then as it was near opposite of this rig. I do remember it having warmth though which is what I’m looking for now. Any suggestions (while these Mesa and MarkBass are highly recommended here, just not into either of their smaller stuff)? Would anyone just switch just the cab or the head instead of the whole rig?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  2. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Love my Quilter, but DNA 1350 is way warmer. The Quilter will let your bass come through and if you
    Have a “raw” set up, you’ll hear it. Even my tone deaf guitarist could tell the difference in matched j/basses with one nickel, one stainless steel...well, actually, he just grunted when I played the nickel set up.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    A Mesa Subway 800+.

Al Kraft likes this.
  4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Genzler Magellan 800 without a doubt in my mind. I just picked one up this week to replace my Darkglass M900, and it checks every box on your list.

revroy likes this.
  5. TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    hmmm... I think I may want some warm color to the sound vs raw with this particular bass.

Surprisingly I saw but didn't play either of these while they sat side by side in a shop I was at recently. Now it may be because I'm so used to this little metal MB200 but the D800 felt plasticy and flimsy while the Magellan felt alot more hefty but I haven't had that many knobs in a while - perhaps since my old Shuttle 9 which I did like.

I think what attracts me to the Tone Hammer and Quilter are the relatively simpler controls. Having the limited eq on the MB200, I didn't have to twiddle all that much - not that I have to if there are alot of knobs on the new amp though.

6. Berg B|Amp

husky123 likes this.
  7. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Quilter + Barefaced Two Ten

Plutonium244 likes this.
  8. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I play an mb 500 and it is detailed and punchy, but it isn’t real warm. I do sometimes go more vintage by throwing an OD in front of it with the gain set low and the tone set dark.

Personally, I think the genzler is your answer if it fits your budget

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    revroy likes this.
  9. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Honestly, most of the knobs are set it and leave it. It being 2 channels adds a couple knobs on its own. I have those set to where I want, and I havent touched them. I also pretty much have the EQ flat. The only knob I find myself playing with is the contour knob and switch, which is probably the most useful/musical feature of any amp I've ever owned. It can go from a nice warm vintage punch, to a massive fat scooped percussive tone PERFECT for slap playing.

10. TideSwing

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    I'll have to give the Genzler a try as it wasn't on my radar. Any Schroeder users using this pairing?

I just found this AG700 / SL112 review and really like the sounds.

11. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

I think there is someone who participates in the Genzler owners club who uses Schroeder’s... you might visit that thread and post the question there or search that thread for “Schroeder.”

You mention having liked the Shuttle you previously owned. I owned a Shuttle 9.0 before moving to the Magellan 800 and basically the Magellan is more in every way. It has more heft in every register. Seems faster. Even seems louder to me. The EQ is similar except you have the two contours available. And there is the second channel. I really liked the Shuttle but the Magellan was one of the best upgrades I’ve ever done.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  12. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    When I hear someone say warm, I think TH500. I also think about how hard it was for me to wrap my head around using those controls effectively when I first got the head. For a tube-like warmth though, it's hard to beat IMO. Once you get the hang of the controls, that head has lot of voicing flexibility that should satisfy most folks looking for tube-like tone and warmth in a SS head, as long as GK MB brightness is not one of your requirements.

I was surprised to see the words plasticy and flimsy used to describe the D-800 or D-800+. IME they are quite robust in very regard and have a 5 year transferable warranty that screams anything other than flimsy. I think the D-800 is a tad warmer than then GK MB series of heads and has just the right amount of warmth to also be able to remain clear and articulate in a busy mix.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The Mesa Subway (D800+) if you're going for new.
    The Ampeg SVT if you want the real deal. :D

14. geowis

geowis Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Hopewell, NJ
    I have the mb200 on my Church pedalboard and I love it. But, from what you described as a little warmer go with the Magellan 800. I have the 350 and it's exactly what you're looking for. The dual contour is very musical.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021