1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

punchy funkin cab - ADVICE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rporcupine, Apr 4, 2006.

1. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    ok ok ok so im excited about finally getting an EBS HD350 on thursday.. which knocked me back a few pennies.

what would be a nice cab to go with it? i dont know much about cabs really, but ive seen ALOT on the Avatar neo cabs, and established theyre a big favourite around here. ive also heard about a new EBS 4x10 in the classic series, priced at £500, which is pretty good...

i want a fingerfunk punchy tone similiar to flea etc etc (not to be cliche..) but also some great bright slap, similiar to marcus millers sound.

HELP

2. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Well for something easily available I'd got for a SWR Goliath, you could probably find a used one for reasonably cheap (in bass gear terms).

I think for funk anything with 10s and a tweeter will be great, heaps of mid-range punch and with the tweeter you can get some high sparkle with slapping.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 on a Goliath III... just make sure whatever you get is a 4ohm cab... which is optimal for the HD350. Great head, and a nice match with the Goliath III.

If you have the cash, and size and weight is an issue, the Epi310UL and the HD350 is a VERY nice combination.... light, loud and sizzly!

4. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    ok cool, well cash is an issue :D but weight isnt, does anybody know of these new EBS classic 4x10's? my budget will be about 400/500 pounds (uk sterling), what are avatars like, seriously?

5. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Not sure what you're going for but in terms of finger funk I think of lots of mids. And for slap more of a scooped tone. So it sounds like you need a well balanced cab that can do everything well. That's not what I've heard from the SWR cabs which tend to emphasize highs and lows. You may need a more high end cab to get everything your looking for. I'm starting to think that it makes sense to get cabinets and heads from the same manufacturer. Often, they design one with the other in mind. So why not get an EBS?

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the EBS stuff is crazy punchie, but waay heavier and pricier than the avatar neo's. IMHO, if quid is short, the avatar neo is a terrific bargain.

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    SWR cabs get a bad rap on being scooped since people run the aural enhancer on the head too high. Goliath 4x10s, especially the older ones, have great mids. Goliath IIs were not available as 4 ohm cabs though.

If you're on a budget ... get an Aguilar S410! I just picked one up and it sounded better than anything I have ever used on "mellowship slinky in B minor". And they are nice and light weight.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

A big +1 on that. The GoliathIII is a very, very balanced cab with wonderful mids, lows and highs.

9. He said £500 so i think he is over in the UK, and i dont think we have access to avatars over here yet?

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd say with that head, Epifani would be perfect, although they may be higher than your price range. If you were running more wattage, a Bergantino HT322 would be the ticket.

As far as Avatar, it just doesn't make much sense to me to run a nice botique head like an EBS through a generic speaker cab.

11. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey rporcupine, I believe Marcus Miller, and,
    Victor Bailey, "two of my personal favorites", both use the "HD 350" head, and two "EBS" 410's on stage. Ever consider going with EBS 410's ? I think if I were'nt using the "EV" 410's, I'd at least try out some EBS cabinets.:bassist:

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 I saw Marcus recently... he was using two EBS410's and a TD650. The only negatives I've heard regarding the EBS410's is weight. If you don't mind that, seems like one would be perfect. Make sure to get a 4ohm version to match with your 350.

13. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    yeah i was thinking of an EBS classic 410, theyre the new ones coming out, only £500, which is damn cheap for an EBS.

in response to the guy who said avatar wasnt available in the UK, holland ship them over. its £400 (delivery included) for an avatar neo 410. which isnt band considering all the importing etc.

14. Ah right, cool, i thought they were only availible in the US, my bad :)

15. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I guess it's a matter of taste then. I had a Goliath II that I couldn't get good mids out of. I had a SWR head that I ran with the enhance control turned all the way down. I think there is something inherent in the ported 4x0 design that can make a mess out of mids. Maybe it's excess emphasis on lows and/or supertweeters and/or comb filtering, I don't know but I tried numerous 4x10s of that ilk that had problems with mids. Maybe our definitions of "mids" differ?

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Yeah, my impression was that the newer bottom ported Goliath III had 'more' mids than the older rear ported Goliath II? Does anyone know more?

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If anything, typical 410's have tons of mids (400-700 hz) versus 15 and 2x12 cabs. The Goliath III has tons of punch, but I do think the GII was a little more scooped, and if that's the model with the rear port, it could get quite boomy in a corner, etc. The Eden410XLT has enough low mid wump to crush your chest, and the Epi410UL is very mid present.

The SWR heads, even with the enhance all the way down, definitely still have a 'scoop' to them (versus, for example, the 'flat' voicing of an Eden head), and IMO that's what you were hearing.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Most of the typical gorund has been well covered here already, so let me pitch something completely different...
    Audition an SWR Henry 8x8 if you can. Fast, clear, articulate, punchy, deeper than it has any right to be. Just something to try if you can find one handy.

19. rporcupine

rporcupine

Jun 7, 2004
    Brighton, UK
    ****!! i need one of those 8x8's! the reviews make them sound so sexy! just gotta save up £700..

20. morebass!

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    You're probably right about the SWR heads. Not to hijack but a lot of preamps have a mid-scoop character, pretty much based on the traditional fender/alembic/swr design philosophy. I own a PB-1 that is supposed to be pretty flat, but it comes with frequency responce curves that show a sizable dip in the midrange.

To get back on track, I'd second the 8x8 suggestion. I owned it's little brother the Hank Jr. 4x8 and it was the punchiest cabinet that I've ever heard. I got ride of it :bawl: because it didn't have enough lows. Shoulda just put a 15 underneath it....