1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Punchy Hi-Fi pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nrauch2, Jan 27, 2012.

1. nrauch2

nrauch2

Sep 9, 2011
    I'm looking for a set of pickups that have a clear, but punchy modern Hi-Fi sound for a bass I am building.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Nordstrand Big Splits.

3. nrauch2

nrauch2

Sep 9, 2011
    Really? I was always under the impression that Big Splits were more on the vintage sounding side.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Big Splits are the clearest, punchiest pickups I've ever used! They are massive sounding and incredibly clear. I'm not saying that just because I have a set for sale in the emporium...but that's WHY they're for sale! They are just so punchy and clear and that's not what I want from my 5 string, I want fatter and lower output. But now I want to get a 4 string just so I can put Big Splits in it :)

5. My favorites are Bill Lawrence's J45s. You might also want to look into other pickups from Delano, SGD, Q-Tuners (used) and perhaps Barden.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'd like to point out that my Sidewinders are a lot like Q-Tuners, but with ceramic magnets, and my Neo Jazzbuckers are like Bardens, but with neo magnets.

7. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Wilde J45.

8. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    delano