1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Punchy in the Facey? Alembic Or Demeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by perrytelephone, Nov 21, 2006.

1. perrytelephone

perrytelephone

Jun 24, 2006
    Burlington
    I'm looking for the punch you in the stomach, warm room in the winter, get down on the floor and dance sound. (Punchy,Warm, Early days of incubus fungus amongus bass tone for those who didn't understand what i was saying earlier). I need your guys help for I am saving up for a serious setup to last for me for many years. :hyper:

I've already decided on the Schroeder 410 cab and the Carvin DCM 1500 Power amp. All i need now is a pre-amp. Seeing how I live in Burlington, Ontario the nearest store with good pre-amps is a long ways away. So I've decided on ordering from basscentral. But because of this I am in a rut because i cannot try out any of the preamps so I am asking for people who have played or heard them to help me out.

So for the gooey funk rock tone which of these preamps is victorious?

Demeter HBP-1
    Demeter VTBP-201S
    Alembic F-2B
    Alembic SF-2 Super Filter
    SWR Interstellar Overdrive
    Eden Navigator

any other unlisted preamp.:confused:

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm... btwn the alembic vs. demeter, i say Dem...

the low end switch lets you go from warm and low to a more punchier direct to your face kinda sound. tonally, its a bit more on the tougher side of the tube sound, whereas the alembic is more rich butter that would benefit from a nice parametric.

but if you're looking more for a funk rock sound, the Eden Nav is great. gets a nice somewhat gritty sound with the gain cranked. also, the EQ is quite flexible allowing you shape for a big fat low kinda sound, or a more aggressive sound. besides, wasnt dirk an eden endorsee?

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I replaced an F1X with a Peavey Max and made around $180 and still kept what I liked about the F1-X and added more tonal options and can operate solid state, tube or blended. I know it's heresy but for me the Max is a great underdog.

I also like the Demeter or Kern better than the Alembic, which seems to me to just be a mild makeover of the Fender circuit which is fine, but isn't my fave by any means.

4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    You know, I set my alembic with the mids all the way up, treble on 5 and bass on 2. It it super punchy and clear. It actually has more punch in the gut than my ashdown. It sounds more "real" too. The demeter didn't do very much for me but I did like the parametric eq. I have one of the old origional f2-b's. I may sell it but, am in no big hurry.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Having owned most of the choices listed (except the SF-2) I would recommend the following

1. Alembic F1-X
    2. Aggie DB359
    3. Trace elliot V-type
    4. Ashdown

For what you say you want those would be my choices in order. Personally I own the DB680 and it cuts and is definitely a superwarm preamp. The Demeter HBP-1 is a great preamp, but I don't think it fits what you are looking for. The eden is great and is also one of my favorites. But based on what you are looking for the alembic is the choice

6. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I'd go with the Alembic F1-X.

Cheers,
    Jim

7. I love reading Bass player mag to see the pro set ups. Alot of the pro's use a Demeter onboard pre-amp called BEQP-1. I think i saw Marcus Miller with that in his Fender. In rigs i usually see the VTBP-201S or the HBP-1.

8. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have both. I have the 201 demeter 1 and a half rack. I also have the Alembic F2B. Both are sort of vintage. The demeter is a 92 and the alembic is an 1980. I like the alembic as I feel it is warmer and buttery. The Demeter is great also. You would do well with both but the Alembic sounds better with my Crest and whappo jr.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    You're right next door to Toronto. I am sure there are plenty of nearby stores where you can try out some decent equipment. I'd plan a day out rather than take the plunge blindly.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Jorg is currently obsessed with the Demeter VTBP-201S, if that means anything.

11. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    I can dial in my F-2B to mimic the tone of a Demeter quite easily. I looked at these two preamps and got the chance to a/b them side by side, but the alembic won out because it was more versatile.

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Honestly they're all high quality and I'd recommend getting a good power section and a high quality cabinet. Either would do "punchy" just fine :)

13. Those are some good choices you are considering. I've used the same (blue face) Alembic F2-B for over thirty years. I've owned others. Every once in a while I feel the urge to "upgrade." I've tried lots of preamps, including the ones on your list, but none have convinced me to change.

Gale