1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Punchy Jazz bass sound while keeping note definition? 1x15 or 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by imenator, Jul 10, 2018.

1. imenator

imenator

Jul 24, 2017
    I am a guitar player trying to figure a decent bass rig for small venues, just parties with friends so far but something at bars could happen, I may play bass for a band. So far I like the natural punch of the PBass. On the other hand the Jazz Bass note definition is better and seems to be a versatile instrument but does not seem to be as punchy (maybe I need to work on EQ?). I tried these at rehearsal with a 1x15 combo, nothing is mine. Also I was listening to a speaker shootout the other day and there is no question 15 in speaker has a deeper sound as opposed to 10 in speakers son I was thinking, maybe I should use a 1x15 with a Jazz Bass so it naturally adds punch but on the other hand people say a 1x15 can get muddy some times and I plan to play both clean and distortion so note definition is important to me.

• Is a 2x10 really able to deliver a punchy sound with Jazz bass?
    • What can make a 15 inch speaker flabby? Maybe enough headroom is needed to avoid what some claim can become muddy/flabby?
    • Am I getting too worried about a problem that won't exist when combining Jazz bass with 2x10? Most bass combos I have found in stores around are 2x10, that is why I get to ask all this.

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Cheap speakers and lame cabinets promote the flabby 15 myth

Quality driver in low punchy ported cab.
    All good.

People love repeating the flabby stuff.
    What seems to get missed is guys saying how much magic midrange they get from their favorite 15. And how muddy those 10 inches are lol.

Only benefit going 10 is a sealed design. There is magic to that as well. I personally don't waste time with ported 10s

Might as well go 12 cause sensitivity is louder for small ported cab.

saabfender likes this.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Why not get both? you can use the 2x10 cab for punch and clarity and the 1x15 cab for warm lows.

eriky4003 likes this.
  4. Speaker diameter has little to do with the sound. More important is how your amplifier is EQ'd and with a jazz bass where you set the bridge and neck pup volumes. For more punch have the bridge pup on max and turn the neck pup down a little from max until you hear the mids becoming more prominent. Both volumes maxed on a jazz bass reduces punch significantly.

Wisebass likes this.
  5. In my experience I prefer 10s over 15s for punch and clarity, but there are always exceptions, both ways.

As has been discussed, it's much more about a good cab, designed properly around a quality speaker, than any individual driver configuration.

There will be many 115s that can out-punch 210s, and many 210s that out-flab 115s - All I can suggest is go to a music shop and try a few amps and see what you like, and as you mentioned, learn how to use your EQ to full effect.

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi imenator :)

Whole bunch of questions! :D

You love the punch of the P Bass? Get a P bass! :laugh:

Sorry I am kidding! I am a Jazz bass player too!

The Jazz bass has two single coil pups, that are wired like a humbucker,

to "outphase" that typical single coil noise.(hum)

That also gives you a mid scooped sound, when you play both pups with full volume.

Just turn one of them down (a little bit can already make a big difference!) and you get more mids!

EQ: Boost the low mids on your amp for more punch!

Now back to cabs: Bad speakers in bad cabs are flabby! Good ones are not!

Don 't trust these apple vs orange shootouts! Carrots will be better! :D

When you like that 15 inch sound of that combo,

just compare x different 15 inch speaker cabs with the same amp amp, to find the one you like the most.

have fun :bassist:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

7. imenator, I'd suggest looking around at cabinets (used or new) and if you have one or two in mind, come back to the TB brain trust and you will likely get some very pointed useful information. You'll probably also want to let us know what amp you have or are planning to acquire.

8. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    imenator, your first order of business, and it's free of charge, is to hop over to the Combo Club and re-state your question there. The nearly 90 members have vast experience with an array of combo amps from over years of playing music and could be of great help to you. Then, when you finally find what you're looking for you can become a member!

What's great about our group, besides they're nice folk, is the number of different brands, sizes, and tones we've all heard. Someone will be able to help with what you're looking for. Give it a try, it's free.