Punchy, rich combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MajesticFrog, Mar 9, 2006.

1. MajesticFrog

Feb 22, 2006
    I am planning to get a nicer combo amp than the hand-me-down peavey minx 110 I have right now. I was looking at getting an Ampeg BA112 or maybe an ashdown. My max budget is around 400, though it would be great if I could get something significantly cheaper than that. I am looking for a warm, punchy (outright hard hitting?) sound.

Any suggestions?
  2. i have the ashdown electric blue combo (similar to the MAG but a cheaper version) and alot of people would call it warm, and it is, but it's not the punchy part though. MAG's are known to be warm, its really clean, but i can get it to be pretty punchy at times by EQing right. i havnt spent enough time to compare punchiness or warmthness with any other combo to this one. but if your gonna go with the ashdown i suggest saving up $100 more and buying an ashdown MAG 300 series combo with a 2x10 setup in it for $500, that way you'd know its somewhat punchy.
  3. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    What music do you play? What basses do you use?

If you decide to go Ampeg, get yourself a B100R. Despite being a 15" combo, it has tons of punch and a nice, warm high end. The most tube-sounding combo in its pricerange, IMO. You're looking for warm and punchy, and the B100R is just that.

A used B100R will cost you around $300-$400. I got mine in near-mint condition for $310.
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i also cast my vote for the ampeg b100r
  5. Steeltoe

Mar 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have an Ampeg BA112. It is a good practice amp, but does
    not have quite enough steam for a band situation.
    A nice feature is the RCA inputs, which allow you to
    play along with a cd player or sequencer. If you need
    more power, go with something bigger. 50 ss watts is not
    very much to work with outside the bedroom.