1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Punchy, Thick, Focused Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JetBlackJazz, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I like D'Addario chromes for those reasons. They lie on my P bass and my Stingray fretless.

2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Fender flatwounds come to mind for midrange focus without the clanky and shredding highs. Chromes but only if you go Medium. If not, then choose the Fenders. The light Chromes can sound roundwound'ish at times - especially with the right EQ (or wrong if one doesn't prefer them to sound like rounds).

3. Coldmilk

Coldmilk

Jun 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Geddy and Squire both use Rotosound Swing 66, which are stainless steel roundwound strings. Unfortunately they are going to give you more clank than any other type of string. Single coil pups + ss roundwounds get closer than anything else to Geddy/Squier; roll down the tone knob if you want to lower the highs.

Personally I dig the DR Fatbeams or Hibeams.

4. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Get some rotos and play them for a couple weeks. The clanking overtones and some of the upper mids go away, but the low purring growl and punch do not. I would say that overall, rotos are some of the least bright stainless steel strings. If you want the used sound now, you could try DR dragon skins. The coating on them effectively kills most of the SS clanking and overtones.

5. I've had 66's on there for 2 or so months.

6. What of Roto 77's?

7. DR Fat Beams are exactly what your title described. Tight/Focused/Thick sounding - punchy SS strings, but without a crazy over the top high end.

8. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    +1 thats the same tone i go for and i use fat beams on all of my basses.

9. I've heard that those strings kinda cut mids a bit

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like you are describing GHS Pressurewounds. Not zingy like rounds, but not a dead thunk like flats.

Flats would be the polar opposite of what you hear from Geddy and Squire. Pressurewounds are somewhere in between.

DR FatBeams are great also, just a little brighter and rougher feeling.

11. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I've been experimenting with different strings on different basses for a long time and I've learned that each instrument "likes" a particular string that will bring out it's unique tonal qualities, and it's not always the one that seems logical (like Roto 66's in your case)

IME nothing else sounds like 66's, they really have a unique sound I can't get from any other string, but they don't work on every bass.

The Chromes are a good suggestion to try. They can certainly do punchy, mid-focused grunt (again...on the right bass) but are clear and articulate. Bright but not zingy and without the ringing overtones of rounds.

One other string you might check out are Roto 88 tapewounds. They have similar characteristics to Chromes as far as punch and smooth tone, but they are darker and even fatter sounding. I moved them around to different instruments till they landed on my Fender Jazz with DiMarzio Area J pickups and they are simply magic on that one.

Happy hunting!

12. Where are Roto 77's on the spectrum?

13. Fatbeams? Quite the contrary - they emphasize the mids.

14. I see.

15. Well there are no demos on those that don't slap. And slapping...is just not my style

16. Ok, pass up the string because there are no youtube demo's.

:rollno:

Youtube demo's mean nothing. Did they apply EQ? What was their signal path? Did they use a DI or a crappy camcorder? Was it the same bass as yours? Do they have the same fingers / playing style as you do? ...like I said, Youtube video's mean nothing, especially for string demo's.

I'm telling you man Fatbeams are EXACTLY what your describing. Others agree with me. And I have ZERO idea why on earth anyone would recommend flats or groundwonds based on what you described in your post.

Spend the $22 bucks. Worst thing is they aren't for you. String's are so personal - its something you must try through YOUR gear, with YOUR fingers.

17. I see in your profile, you use Rotosound Swing 66's. They kinda fit the bill of what your describing as well - what are you not getting out of those?

18. I'm getting what I need. Also what I don't. After almost months of having them on, they're still clanky and bright. Not my preference. Great sound, but for a sufficient tone for my taste, I cut the highs on my amp, bass, AND eq.

19. In most cases, I won't try strings that I don't trust others' opinions with. But if ya'll suggest the strings are what I'm looking for, I suppose I can try them. What are they like on the bright side? Bright, Mellow, in between?