1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Punchy tone set-up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by felch182, Jan 1, 2007.

1. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    Hey guys, I suck when it comes to setting up my rig so i was looking for a bit of help. I really love this forum because people seem to really know what they are talking about. I have a Mark bass sa450 head, and im running it into an Ampeg svt-610, my primary bass is a musicman sterling. I was just wondering how i could suck the best amount of tone through this set-up. I also have a fender active jazz bass deluxe mexican but it hardly gets used because its a bit heavy for me. Would appreciate the help guys.

Thanks so much:bassist:

2. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Sounds like you've got everything you need! Get some new strings if you feel you're not getting enough punch, you might just need fresh ones.

3. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

boost 150-300hz.

4. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I, too, at one time had trouble finding a good tone setting. Listen to some of your favorite songs, and try and dial in something close. After a couple of days, go back and play with no accompaniment. Your ears will be fresh, and you'll be able to tailor your tone to your liking a bit better.

After a while, your setup will more than likely not even be close to how you originally dialed it up, but it will be YOUR sound. Tone works in strange ways, my friend.

5. also dont forget you need the band behind you to 'nail' the tone.
    i found alot of my 'punch' came when i was with a drummer (the kick and snare add a hell of a lot to the overall punch), i find my tone when alone becomes very bass and lower mid heavy but sits in the mix of the band great, and to play alone i need to add a bit of upper mids so my tone resembles my 'live' settings.

6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    So very true. And different rooms will make huge differences in that perceived 'punch'.

7. Totally true. Your tone will change depending on who you're playing with and where you are. If you're going through the PA your tone out front will also be different from your tone on stage.