1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Punchy tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LiF, Jul 25, 2008.

1. LiF

LiF

May 11, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    People use this expression all the time, but no-one has been able to explain exactly what they mean. So, what is it?

Sound clips with punchy versus non-punchy tones would be good.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    It will vary greatly depending on the person's interpretation. I consider it LowMids/Mids without being whoofy or boomy. A more cutting tone then it is smooth tone, yet not biting or harsh treble tone. The tone's not going to make you soil your pants due to the frequencies, but it's also not a scooped metal tone that lacks frequencies.

Punchy is where I live tone-wise and what I prefer. I find it by using 2 2x10 cabs stacked vertically running at 2ohms.

Once your done solving this one... please move on to a valuable and consistent explanation for the buzz word "Growl".

Thanks.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021