1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Punchy yet warm/growly P/J. Can I have that?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KillerEddie, Nov 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    I'm building a P/J. Bolt neck, passive. I'm looking at the Geezer EMGs. Will they fit what I want? I'm looking for a warm P sound with a nice punch yet still having that warm T bird tone. Are the geezers the right direction?

2. I have a Geezer P in my Precision and love it. You're going to have a great sounding bass!

But, the Geezers sound like a Fender (which IMO is a good thing!) and, as you know, a T-Bird is neck-through with 2 humbuckers; I'm not sure how close a bolt-on with PJs is going to get you.

3. KillerEddie

KillerEddie

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    oh yeah I know I won't get exact, I'm talking more just the warmth. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and order a P/J set. Thanks

Terracite likes this.
  4. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    For warm and punch I would look at the Aguilar P/J. Wonderful pickup. It might be one of the rare situations where the tone of the two pickups combined is better than the individual pickups.
    Finding a good balance between a P and a J pickup is really difficult due to pickup placement and the different physical shape of the pickup. Most J are wimpy compared to the split coil P. The Aguilar combination is not 100% perfect but it's much better than any other PJ I've heard.

Also to be considered is the DiMarzio Area PJ and if you want more punch and less warmth the DiMarzio Model PJ.

I am not a fan of Geezer pickups but they have many many enthusiastic users on this site. Pickups just like strings is a highly personal choice.

KillerEddie likes this.
  5. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    The EMG Geezer P/J set is 2 humbuckers, unlike a traditional Fender P/J setup, (the J pickup in that set is a split coil humbucker). A lot of the tone is going to depend on where on the body, in relation to the neck and bridge you place the pickups. The GZR pickups are warm, and punchy, but have a tone closer to a Fender P bass, than to a TBird. The set does have good balance, though the P pickup is a bit louder, part of that difference is due to the placement of the 2 pickups on the body. I love my P/J with the GZR set, not everyone does.

KillerEddie likes this.