Punk amp opinon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ergodynebass, Sep 4, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need an opinion on what brand amps work well with new school punk music. I love Ampeg and think that they sound the best when it comes to this music. Any opinions would be helpful. Price is not as much a concern as your opinion.

Thankz in advance

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Crate is good for that.
  3. first thought that came to my mind is pretty much any amp. it came to mind cause a lot of the time, punk players dont have the best gear, yet manage to sound good. i dont know what your price range is so i'll just throw up things that come to mind amp wise. svt 3 pro- good hybrid amp, can get some nice punch out of it. mesa/boogie 400+ - very very good amp, will work with almost any style of music, just remember that its all tube and that means it will need re-tubing every once awhile. for speakers i say stick with 10's, they got the punch you need for punk. 4x10, 6x10 or 8x10 i have seen a bunch of punk bands running though 8x10's.
  4. good, I was looking at Crate also
  5. Peavey is great, mainly because they have a lot of low deep bass, if you like that sort of thing like I do. I currently have a Peavey 210TX, its taken lots of hits and its still tickin.
  6. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm in a punk band and i don't really care about my sound as long as i'm DAMN loud. We'll i do care but the LOUDNESS is my top priority. If your doing gigs you'll need at least 300-400 watts especially if your guitarist has a 100watt stack. I own a Trace Elliot v-type 600 head which i got from zzounds.com for $600. A buck a Watt. I was at a show the other day the the bassist had a Peavey T-MAX head. it sounded damn good. Don't underestimate Peavey man. Almost all punk bands i've played with and have seen either use 8x10 or a 2x10 on top of a 1x15. I use a 2x15 Mesa Boogie. I love it but it's just as heavy as any 8x10 out there. What's your price range man? Don't get an all tube amp. I know how crazy our shows get and if a all tube amp falls off my stack i'm **** out of luck for the next 3 months till i save up and buy some new ones. Ampeg i think is just OK but Gallien-Krugger is the best punk bass amp i've heard and they are not that much i don't think.
  7. I think amps with at least a tube preamp are best, after all, a great deal of us punk / post-punk / hardcore / post hardcore / indie rock / whatever bassists have at least a little bit of overdrive in our sound. plus tube amps (preamps) give a good all around sound for punk. that's just my opinion though.
  8. I ended up buying a Crate BX-80 from Used Gear By Mail. I'll get into the big rigs once I get some more money. Peavey is alright, I just don't like them myself. I tried a Gallien Kruger today at a pawn shop, they sounded ok. Most of the punk shows I go to the guys are playing hartke 4x10's and 400 watt heads. One of the bands had a Trace full stack too, I bet that costs a good bit. Anyways, when I get more money I want to get one of these big rigs, that's why I wanted your opinions.
  9. the thing about punk bands and hartke's...I can never seem to hear or feel the bassist with those Hartke cabs.
  10. Yea, I guess thats kinda right. This one concert was played in a pretty small room though, not more than 100 people were their. I heard from a friend that you are supposed to take the wattage of your amp and take 1 watt per person for it to sound good. Such as, 400watts would sound good anywhere from 1-400 people, I don't know if this is right though.
  11. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    The best punk bass sounds i've heard are through an ampeg SVT all tube through a 8x10 cabinet. If you're worried about it falling off the top of your cab, set it on the ground. The gallien kruger heads sound pretty good too. I think more speakers and more power are key if you're playing with hundred watt guitar heads and a loud drummer.
  12. Yea I tried one of those 8x10 Ampeg cabs with an SVT, it was sweet but I never turned it up too loud so I never got to see it at max. Has anyone tried one of their B2 or B3 combos, they are sweet. Only like 150-200 watts too.
  13. I would also recommend the Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ It will be loud enough for anything. And as someone stated.. if you are afraid that it will fall off your stack, put it on the floor in the first place. But i dont think it will fall off if you hav e big enough cab, this head doesnt go anywhere without a lot of help. Oh did I mention that it packs 500w all tube juice? Or as it was in their brochure "It comes on like an iron fist in a black velvet glove." Teamed up with Mesa's 4x10 deep you will be set for anything.

Ok well hope you find your monster out there, I did.
  14. How often do you have to change these tubes and how much are they?
  15. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Depending on how often you use the amp and how loud you play it but usually they say power tubes go from about 3-5 years and preamp for longer. The power tubes you can get a good set of twelve svetlana from lord valve for $180 and he'll get you a set too match what is already in it so you won't need the bias set. If you buy a new head from mesa you get a half off coupon for a new set of tubes from them so you may as well buy theirs for the first retubing. Also, you void the warranty on the head by using different tubes if they know about it. So, if something broke in the warranty period, you would want to stick a set mesa tubes back in there when you brought it in. They use cheaper chinese tubes in their heads so it is an upgrade to replace them right away w/ better quality tubes. But, then you are sort of stuck cause they give you half off w/ new heads. If you buy a new one and like how it sounds than stick w/ their tubes but i've heard new sets improve the sound greatly so it must sound really good. Preamp tubes vary in price but usually around $10 a piece. They use cheaper tubes in the preamp also so an upgrade is nice there too.
  16. Remember though, that Mesa's tubes, as well as all tubes (almost) in the world are made by the same factory in CHina or Russia. The difference is that the Mesa branded tubes are tested to meet the high quality standrads that Mesa set up. You dont go buy LADA parts for you BMW right? They might fit but can stand the pressure.
  17. The Cheapest Punk Tone is a Behringer BX3000 with a Old 2x15 or a 8x10

Next is a Gallien Kruger with The same cabs.

Peavey preamps IMHO do not sound good if you are going for a Rancid/Punk type tone.

I used a BX3000 for 25 shows and it was bad ass..

As we went to larger stages I changed to a Sansamp RBI with a CS-800 Power amp and a Behringer 8x10.
  18. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Any amp turned up loud is the correct answer, duh.
  19. Return of the living dead :eek:

I hope the OP was not waiting over 9 years for an answer
  20. maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    Somebody kill it!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.