Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Punk as a derogatory term.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AltIII, Oct 13, 2003.

1. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    "You friggin punk!" "That dude's a punk!"
    more and more, I have seen the term punk used as derogatory term. As someone who listens to and plays punk music, I am annoyed by it. I think it degrades the music, making it seem as if it's not as legit as heavy metal or blues. You never hear some one yelling "that guy's a friggen metal head!" with a negative connotation(sic?)
    Now before you label me as ignorant, I am perfectly aware of the origin of the word punk. I realize that it was slang for amature and that in prison it was synonomous with "fish" or "B****". But just as "gay" is never used for it original intent, punk is hardly used for it's original intent either.
    What's wrong with being a punk?
    Could we please find another term to use for some one that is being a whiny little girl?

2. Punk is a bad term in all directions, for the musical term, your not post to care how people use it towards you. Punk was never something to be liked on by non-punks or respected by them. It's a term of rebellion and carelessness to the conformed society. So be proud when someone calls you a punk no matter how the use.

This is coming from a guy who doesn't respect or like punks either.

3. So true.

4. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

I think that society at large (i.e. those who aren't a part of the punk music community) would disagree with you that "punk is hardly used for it's original intent either."

Probably most non-punks mentally relate the word to its earlier definition, not the movement that adopted it.

In other words if/when I call someone a punk, I mean "amateur, young, dumb, etc.", not a punk rocker.

As far as "metalhead" or "blues player", those are terms that were first applied to a musical style, whereas punk was kind of borrowed, not invented.

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Why concern yourself with it? "Punk" is a label and "punks" are supposed to be against labeling and that sort of thing. Its kind of "un-punk" to say "Im a punk and Im against the current uses of the term in todays society." ;)

6. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

The non-labeling thing is pretty funny to me. As far as I can tell, its part of human nature to want to classify things. Even saying "I'm the kind of person who tries not to label people" is sort of assigning a label to yourself. :D

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Indeed!

8. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    metal heads rule.

9. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Trust me, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. I suppose I'm just annoyed.
    Listening to punk quite a paradox. Part of me wants punk to be accepted by the public as legit musical genre. Yet another part of me wants it for myself like golem wants the ring for himself.
    And I know that, as a "punk", I'm not supposed to care what others think of the music I listen to. Yet, as a very flawed human, I still feel the need to defend something I care about when someone disrespects it.
    Am I making any sense or am I just rambling incoherantly(sic?)

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ::whispers to SMASH::

yo man, AltIII is such a PUNK!

:D

get over it man....people are gonna say that forever

11. I hate everything that is involved with punk.

12. Nope, like I said I don't like punk or anarchists. Their ideology and music is not in my favor-sure it's closer then the easy listening capitalist bastards(no offense to easy listening capitalist bastards here) but yes it's like metal and communism with out the foundation or any sort of a real complex structure. But with Metal Magazines like Pit and stuff, I read time to time but stopped buying after the Zyklon/Emperor issue. Peace

13. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    music is involved with punk, (no matter if you you want to admit it or not, it is) and so does that mean you hate music?? and to post this on a bass forum... tsk tsk

14. You know what, just shut up.

This is may shut up to everyone today, I'll check back here tomorrow.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It was, and it was.

As a former "real" punker myself (ca. late 1970's, following my Neil Young era ;) ), I can say the average punk listener and player wore the term proudly back in the day.

Get outta my yard!!!

16. if your gonna be into punk you should be ready to hear punk used an insult, i used have the tall spikey hair and for the most part the only people who gave me dirty looks or even looked twice were in senor citizens.

punk has lost most of its shock value.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

[THREADHIJACKIN']Example #1) When I was a kids waaaayyyy back in the 60's. We used the term "punk" to refer to "bad kids. Or reform school types. The "steal the kids lunch money" types who disrupted class, and where repeating 7th grade for the 3rd time. That's a "punk".

Example #2)

"I know what you're thinkin', did he fire 6 shots or only 5? Well, in all that excitement, I kinda lost count myself. But, being that this is a 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off. You gotta ask yourself one question; Do ya feel lucky punk?!"

Example #3)Of course in music terms, "Punk" is music that doesn't sound like the Eagles, Styx, REO Speedwagon, or Heart.[/THREADHIJACKIN']

18. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I would think that a love of derogatory would be a pre-requisite for punk. Sid V. is turning over in his grave right now. Are you perhaps pop-punk?

19. darkjoker667

darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    Yeah.

But punk is dead.

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    prove it