Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

punk band

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JohnnySocko, Apr 24, 2001.

1. JohnnySocko

JohnnySocko

Apr 24, 2001
    Hey everyone,

I play in a punk band, and was just wondering
    about a few ways to spice up the bass lines,
    usually I'm just following the guitar, I'm capable
    adding some spice, just not quite sure on the
    way about doing that. Any replys be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks

Ryan

2. mudball

mudball Guest

Apr 24, 2001
    I play in a punk band too. However im unsure that learning how to spice up your bass playing is what you should be concerned with. The issue here should be what punk music is about. Punk music should be something you feel not something your tought. Its just like shopping for premanufactured punk clothing, is there such a thing? My suggestion would be finding some local punk bands or going to some shows and watching the bassist as much as possable, but if your wanting to be original try doing some of your own research like picking some tabliture, Blues, Jazz and old school rock. this might help you find some riffs that you like, and could incorporate into your music. Most of all Go to shows. God Bless, paul

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I totally agree that punk is about doing your own thing. However here are some punk ideas that I sometimes fall back on (you can still reject them outright in the true spirit of punk non-conformity :D). I find punk songs work well with 1-3-5 basslines, also chromatic runs are cool (Matt Freeman from Rancid does that a lot). Also check out some dub-reggae. That worked really well for The Clash, among others.

4. Listen to Mike Watt, Karl Alvarez and Matt Freeman, among many others.. there is a lot of room to do melodic stuff in 3 and 4-chord songs.

5. JohnnySocko

JohnnySocko

Apr 24, 2001
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it. I'll look into all that stuff right after i get back from gadzooks, get my pyramid belt and what not. I'm kidding sheesh!

Ryan

6. duff_hodges

duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Listen to Duff Mckagan, the bassist for Guns N' Roses. He is/was a big punk fan and was influenced by other punk bassist, i.e Sid Vicious. He has a unique which you might like.

7. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I play in a punk band, If all else fails play by ear, thats what I do. Listen to the bass line that comes to you in your head and play what you think supports the song. When the guitars play eighth note lines, it gives you a lot of opportunity to play something independant on the bass, but dont overdo it. try playing in unison with the guitars and every now and then lock in with a drum fill or vocal line to spice things up a bit.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A lot of good advice has been given, but I'll add anyway, since punk was my sole income in the 70's.

A couple others that worked/work for me are;

- Throw in lightning fast slides down your E/A/B string. Use discretion if you employ it though, because it can get old real quick.

- If the guitar is sitting on a chord, play the same notes/patterns an octave apart. I used to jump up to the 12th fret and plug in Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" riff as 3-note chords, Ex. You're on your E playing an A at the fifth fret. Jump up to the D & G strings, playing the D at the 7th fret and the G at the 9th fret.

- YOU write the song. Your lines predicate what the guitarist does, not vice-versa. NO bassist I know of will create a song with just root notes as their part.

- Practice until your pick stroke rate is about the same as a hummingbird's heart rate.

9. Try listening to some of Mike Dirnt's basslines and some of Flea's earlier stuff they both incorporate completely different styles into what theirplaying for Flea he incorparates Funk and Mike puts in variation of Jazz take Longview for example. Its endless how original you can be.

10. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Quote rickbass1: "NO bassist I know of will create a song with just root notes as their part."
    Mark Hoppus of blink 182 does.

11. rickbass

So he WROTE a song where his part is all root notes? Not doubting it, I know almost nothing about Blink 182. But then again, I said, "that I know of."

12. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Well, probably not ALL roots he adds about one passing note in when the songs change to a chorus. "All the small things" is a good example, except for the root-fith bit in the middle section.

13. mudball

mudball Guest

Apr 24, 2001
    bass bass bass bass bass bass bass bass bass bass bass bass bass bass i know this has nothing to do with the current topic ( well maybe) what helps me out in spicing up punk music is that i remimber the bass is the best freakin instrument in the band i am super bass man muhahahahahahahah .... ok im done

14. You've all forgotten the ultimate punk bassist (IMHO) ----> Paul Simonon from The Clash. Just check out the chorus to "Should I stay or should I go" or "Rock the Casbah"

15. rickbass

Aaron - Let's keep things in perspective. I was making a generalization about bassists who have composed songs that I know of.

If someone said, "Eden amps are very durable" and you remarked, "I know of someone who had his blow up in the first week he owned it," does that invalidate the generalization about Eden amps?

Your citing one aberration in the bass universe doesn't really demonstrate anything other than there is one bassist, Hoppus, you know of on the planet who writes songs with simple, root-based lines. Anyone can find an exception for just about anything, but that doesn't deflate a statement. Instead, its rarity helps proves the point in a backasswards fashion.

16. ...Oh I'm sorry to hear that... :(

:p

i'm a cheeky bugger aren't i.

I find with punk, because yes the Merlster did play a bit then found music... ahem, i just like to walk between note changes, do some fills, octave changes etc. Like all music its about feel, Just let your fingers do the walking, and the bass do the talking. If you're playing and between notes just play "anything" that leads to the next note, then you have yourself a cool fill. Just a starting point i guess.

Merls

17. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    You're right rickbass1, I was just talkin' out of my proverbial posterior.

18. This is great advice for any style of music!

19. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Yeah it is I s'pose. I always try to refrain from even touching my bass before laying down a line. I ssupprise myself sometimes with what I come up with.