Punk Bands with great Bass Playing...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Hello...

I never really was interested too much in punk and I hate this pop-fun-punk thing which is around nowadays.
    some days ago I listened to an old CD by RANCID, "and out come the wolves" and some record by NOFX and recognized that there is really cool bass playing. This showed me that punk also CAN be technical!! Especially the bass guy from Rancid.. his lines are amazing, imo.

I wanted to ask if you could suggest me some other punk bands of the same category.
    As far as I've never been into punk I don't know that much...

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm not sure what Rancid is like, but I can tell you that if you want to hear some great bass playing in a punk setting, you want to check out Mike Watt and his work with The Minutemen - or any of his work for that matter.
  3. matt freeman from rancid is badass. they are really the only new punk i can get into. he's playing with social distortion now too.

as far as great punk bassists, i assume you know about Watt.

other than that, you MUST listen to the The Stranglers! JJ Burnel is THE man! of course, you have to get the early stuff, it's way better. that guy had the best tone. absolutely the best distorted sound ever. and with no pedals. just pure attack. and great lines. he was originally a classical guitarist.

and there's a Karl from ALL/Descendents. Dave from Gang Of Four. Blacky of Voivod. and technically, The Police were supposed to be punk, so throw Sting in there for good measure!
  4. check out Operation Ivy. It was the band Tim Armstrong was in before Rancid. Otherwise, I think bands like Rancid, NOFX and similar music paved the way for the garbage that is considered punk nowadays. They took punk and added a hint of ska and rockabilly to make it danceable (if thats a word). They watered it down and made it radio friendly. Go back a little further and listen to bands like the dead kennedys, the circle jerks (future members of bad religion) and minor threat (fugazi). Stuff in the early to mid eighties that wasn't getting radio play but had great musicians.
  5. Operation Ivy also had Matt Freeman from Rancid..
    Although I can't speak for the rest of their work, Seattle Was a Riot by Anti-Flag has a pretty technical bassline...
  6. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    +1 The Stranglers - JJ Burnel
  7. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Rob Wright of NoMeansNo. His sound is not so unsimilar of JJ Burnel's on early Stranglers albums where used Fender Precision.
  8. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    one great song that i like is Adolescents- Kids of the Black Hole
    But there are alot of great bass Parts/Lines In punk music, just go and look for it.

9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +2!!! He was a classical guitarist at that, and a black belt in martial arts with a quick temper! Gotta add The Buzzcocks as well.
  10. Fat Mike....

My friend is a big NOFX fan, and made me realize how fast this guys picking hand is...and he has some really cool basslines..
  11. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    ok not really punk, but strong punk influences, check out Avenged Sevenfold.
  12. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1 one that! That guy is fantastic. PLays through a Marshall JCM 900..full on distortion with a pick. The songs make you feel like you are in an insane asylum with really driving basslines. I reccomend The CD "Wrong". awesome stuff.
  13. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Alright, I don't care what anyone says... Mike Dirnt is a solid bassist (Green Day). Not so much on their last record, but on their earlier ones for sure.