Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Punk bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John-Paul666, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Hey guys

Does anyone know where I can get a precision bass with a white body and black scratch plate (like the one which sid vicious used), preferably squire. And also how easy would it be to fit a bad ass bridge to it and how much

2. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    white with black will be a little tricky

http://cgi.ebay.com/Squier-by-Fende...397024999QQcategoryZ64401QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and buy a black plate?

Or get an SX, could work out to be a better bass, too

The badass II is a direct replacement (meaning EASY) for the fender bridge. Probably $35 to $50.

3. You can buy the Badasses online. Although didier says they're an easy replacement...thats sort of true, but you still have to do all the filings for the strings, which can be tedious. I've heard that they're making prefiled bridges for Fender though, not sure when those are coming out...I'd go for those if they're up for sale now.

4. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    Very good point, thank you!

5. Ive just been lookin at scratch plates, would an actual fender usa p-bass plate fit a squire,

also what would i have to do to swop it over cos aint the electronics and stuff fixed onto the plate, would i have to rewire it all and how hard would it be

6. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    to do the swap, you should be able to take off the knobs and remove the pots from the old plate. There is usually a
    nut that holds them on. Same with the jack. Then just put them on the new one, no rewiring or cutting involved.

As to fit, I don't know. But, esp since it's a punk bass, how about keep the old plate and just paint it. It will get scratched, sure, but maybe that's ok?

7. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
    I have a white made in korea squire p-bass active with a black pickguard. It is in pretty good shape, and sounds good. I'm thinking of selling it.....

8. this one is close...
    http://www.rondomusic.net/spj62.html

(scroll down to see the white with black pg) (of course having an extra J pickup would probably crush all your punk cred though) (sorry)

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

yes and it's better than any modern day squier you'll ever find.

10. Just more proof that you can't have your cake and eat it. And this calls for a punk joke!

A punk and a hippie are walking down the street and the hippie says" so what is punk anyway?"
    The punk kicks over a garbage can and says "THATS PUNK!!"
    The hippie walks over and kicks another trash can over and says "now am i a punk" and the punk says "no now your a poser!"

BTW, the Mark Hoppus bass comes in Olympia white, and from what i've seen from a dude who has one, it comes with a black p/g.

11. if you really want to be punk, just get the cheapest bass you can find, and the cheapest strings and dont bother tunning it, ur a rebel ;)