1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Punk Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BenFiglio, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Which is the best bass for punk. Im guess a passive pick up setup

2. Fender P bass or Jazz bass, Ibanez ATK, Ernie Ball Music Man, if you ain't got much money an SX P or J bass will do you just fine..............

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

There's no one "best" bass for any type of music. It's all in your playing. A lot of Punk is/was played on a Fender P-bass. But plenty of players use different basses. It's just a question of which you like the sound of the best.

4. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i got a Fender Jazz and i play alot of punk and grunge, infact thats all i play:eek:

5. dravenzouk

dravenzouk

Feb 18, 2007
    Well, it can only be obtained one of two ways - either from a pawn shop, or bought from a guy who is selling off all his stuff before heading to prison.

Also, if it isn't black, you must spray paint it so. Either mask off strings & hardware very poorly, or don't mask at all.

Anything that is loose or wobbly must be repaired with duct tape.

Lastly, if anyone has ever played "Freebird" or any Eagles song on the bass in question, than that instrument simply won't work unless some sort of blood-ritual type exorcism is performed.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I used to play a lot of Rancid type stuff with a P bass. In earlier years when I played a lot of older Clash and other 70's punk I used a P bass a bit but mostly my late '70s Gibson G3.

Now I still play some Green Day, Disturbed, Social Distortion, etc. and I mainly use a Bongo 5. My backup is either a MIA active Jazz V or my Lakland 55-02.

Point is.... almost any bass will do for most punk.