Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Punk bassists that play with fingers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, Feb 28, 2001.

1. I tend to find it hard to play really fast for long periods of time. So I was wondering if if many well known punk bassists play with their fingers. I personally can't play for sh*t with a pick because I can't feel the strings.
    What are some well known punk bassists that play with their fingers and do you play with your fingers or a pick?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Me.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...the guy in the Suicide Machines plays a Jazz bass finger-style.

4. Mike Watt from the Minute Men
    Matt Freeman from Rancid

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    gruffpuppy-Matt Freeman plays with a pick..

6. jugdish

jugdish

May 25, 2000
    Orange County
    Check out ALL, Descendents, Wretch Like Me, they all play finger and pick, but if you have a hard time with a picking I found that trying a variety of gauges helps.

7. i normally use my fingers but if i have to play a song from greenday or rancid i use i pick

8. darn i allways thought it was fingers.
    :D

9. BLNDPNGWN

BLNDPNGWN

Nov 28, 2000
    the bassist from fear does, but picks are faster!

10. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i play with a pick

mike watt did alot with his fingers, so does daryl jenifer from the bad brains

11. I've tried different gauges of picks but it just seems so unatural because you don't seem to have as much control. It probably just takes practice!
    I thought Alvarez played with a pick at least that's what it sounds like.

12. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I can play most of the stuff with my fingers but it just doesn't sound quite as good. So I use a pick a lot of the time. You have to think totally different when playing fast with your fingers. If you throw in your ring finger every now and then it helps out. Against all authority's bassist uses his fingers and plays like a mofo, and I think that he uses his ring finger some also. Picks are weird at first but once you get used to them they are really quite handy.

13. FWIW, I'm pretty sure that Tony Lombardo used his fingers during his stint in the Descendents. I think he was the best bass player they ever had. I think some of the folks on this board may not realize that the Descendents had three different bass players, and that Karl Alvarez was only one of them. In fact, the only thing he actually played on was the last studio album (All) and the two live albums (Hallraker and Liveage). Tony Lombardo was the bass player for everything else, except for Enjoy, which Doug Carrion played on.

14. Good show, man! I'm glad someone else here is knowledgeable about the lineage of Descendents/ALL. Some of Descendents' instrumental stuff is positively jazz, especially on the ALL album.

15. i used to be only a finger player and i played punk. i even went so far as to think of bassists using pick as inferior(spelling?). but then a guitarist said "sometimes u just need to use a pick" i dont know why, but that stuck with me. so i started using a pick. it took me about a month to get it down good. i found that the yellow tortex picks are just stiff enough and have enough bend in them for the perect feel. and a hint, when using a pick keep in mind to dig in and not nessisarily try to play softly. but if u like fingers, go for it, whatever floats ur boat.

peace

16. 2 bands that aren't really punk, but have a lot of punk influence to them: Sublime with Eric Wilson, and Flea in the Chili Peppers (a lot of the older stuff anyway). Of the two, Wilson probably plays more like you're talking about, really fast finger picking. "All You Need" is a pretty good example, and some of the faster, more punk sounding songs on 40 oz. to freedom.

17. I knew Decendents had more than one but just thought for some reason Alvarez played on more albums, but was wrong, He also played on Everything Sucks.
    I've got 40oz To Freedom and most of the Chillies Older Albums and actually have used that as a sort of guide such as Sublime's version of Modern Man which is a cool song.
    Are there many others?

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorta the same thing here. I can play with a pick, but only do it when absolutely forced. Fingering is SO much better. Playing w/ my fingers makes me feel more organic, like I have more control. Picks aren't for me. But, I'm uding one more and moe with my new band, so I'm becoming pretty comfortable with both

Oh, So I guess I'm a punk bassist who uses fingers

19. mike weiss from dance hall chrashers plays w/ fingers, and i've seen pics from when the sex pistols were recording bollocks where vicious/matlock were using fingers.

20. I play using my fingers, but also use a pick, which can help you cut through without as much amp tweeking. I am still searching for the favorite pick. Does anyone have any suggestions for a pick that has a feel like fender heavy picks, but I need one that wont get eaten by the strings as fast. When I play punk, I normally use a pick because it lets me go crazy and play really fast without killing my fingers on a nightly basis.